RomeroXVII
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Re-thinking Move Levels For EA Sports UFC 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialMind
I'll get straight to the point.

We've seen complaints that everyone uses thesame combinations in the game. The jab uppercut left hook right hook comes to mind.

This is true, but it is not exactly unrealistic. Most fighters in MMA recycle techniques because most of em are not that creative or even unique in their approach to fighting. I'd even argue we see more variety in game than in real life.

Face a good Aldo player for example. You'll see some interesting combos that Aldo doesn't even throw. Like his lead leg kick to rear body kick combo. The issue isn't that everyone throws thesame combos... the issue is that every fighter is "efficient" with these techniques.

Good technique leads to efficiency.
Bad technique leads to inefficiency.

Good technique:

Bad Technique:

Keep the Gifs above in mind.

Using Khabib Nurmagomedov as an example:

In the game, he has a Level 1 rear leg kick. A level 1 leg kick is supposed to be a "Bad leg kick" right?

What about that leg kick is a level 1? Not only is that leg kick not a bad leg kick, it's a leg kick thrown like Traditional MuayThai strikers throw it... it was thrown with very good technique.

My point:
Reducing the speed, power plus added stamina cost and that alone is not the right way to differentiate between strike levels. If a fighter throws a strike with good technique, he is throwing the strike at a high level and should reap the benefits. For this to make sense.... it must also match visually.

If a fighter is assigned a Level 1 leg kick, he should also be assigned a Level 1 leg kick animation. A bad animation more than anything else truly drives home the point that a fighter is bad at a specific technique.

Anderson Silva Leg Kick in UFC Undisputed 3:

Dan Henderson Leg Kick in UFC Undisputed 3:

I remember playing as Hendo, and the second you throw that leg kick you just go "Nope... not throwing that again"... It felt so bad but that was the whole point.

The game tells you right away "Look, this character is not designed for you to use as a Leg kicking machine"... If you're facing an Anderson player who is constantly kicking your legs, you don't get to get egotistical and trade leg kicks with him... You will lose that easily... You MUST explore another option.

Right now though in UFC3, you can bang out leg kicks with anyone. The difference between a Jose Aldo leg kick and a Frankie Edgar leg kick is no where near as pronounced as it should be.

My suggestion:

In the game we have Levels 1 through 5 for techniques. I'm not asking for 5 different animations for every single strike in the game to differentiate levels. I'm asking for at least 3.

Using Leg kicks again as an example. Levels 1-2 should have the bad looking animations (like the Hendo leg kick from Undisputed that i posted above) level 3 should have a decent looking animation and levels 4-5 should have the proficient looking animation.

The game sort of did this with Jabs and straights but it needs to be extended to hooks, uppercuts, body kicks, head kicks, and spinning techniques.

The Luke Rockhold vs Weidman fight is a good fight to look at when it comes to kicks. That fight was basically Rockhold teaching Weidman to kick. Weidman would kick and look would go "Ehhh here's the right way to throw that kick buddy".

If this is done correctly, players might throw thesame combos, but it won't be noticeable at all because the strikes will look different and have different impacts. Also... this will be a good boost for kickers.

This will ofcourse require good actors... You don't just need to capture good techniques, you need to capture decent and flat out bad techniques as well.

I'd also like to see this when it comes to grapplers too... but i'll leave it at this for now.

Thoughts?
Just had to take another look at this, this NEEDS to be done for UFC 4.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app
E-Sports Summer Series EA UFC Champion (Season 1)
ESFL UFC 4 Las Vegas 2022 World Champion