View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #99
canes21
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Madden NFL 20 Twitch Livestream Today at 7:00 PM EST - Face of the Franchise: QB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
With Finite OVR scales like this, comes arguments/debates about their Finite outcomes (see MUT on Twitter)

I prefer the Badges/Abilities hide all these numbers because they cause gamers to have “Tunnel” vision and become more fixated about the number, rather than how the players are operating during gameplay.

I know some argue for letter grades, but grades produces the same arguments/debates.

I’d prefer they go to a Strength/Weaknesses Snapshot about the player in his position...
Example:

CB - Mike Jones
Strength:
- good against the run
- great tackler
- very aggressive

Weakness:
- bites often on Play Action/Pump Fakes
- loses leverage in Coverages
- gives up Deep Ball often

All the numbers etc... can work behind the scenes, but this gives gamers actual football information about the player, whether if on their roster or playing against him.

These can be dynamic in nature and update based on the players performance.

This type of snapshot is exactly how scouts/coaches grade you at the NFL level.

BTW, this is actually my Snapshot from a Free Agent Tryout as a Corner with the Chargers 21 yrs ago at
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 218 lbs
40 yard: 4.44
225 Bench: 24 reps

This is an area I will reference Out of the Park Baseball again, like many have probably seen me do countless times the last year or so.

The way Out of the Park does ratings is they first let you pick the scale you want to rate players on. You can have everyone rated simply 1-5, 1-8, 1-10, 1-20, 20-80, 20-80 in increments of 5 like real life scouting reports, 1-100 like traditional video game ratings, or you can have zero ratings at all. I always choose 20-80 in increments of 5 to reflect real MLB scouting reports.

After choosing your ratings scale you get to choose the potential scale. It has the same options. After selecting that you can select whether or not a player can be shown to be past that finite limit or not. I choose not to to reflect a real scouting report, but the option is there for someone to be an 85 out of 80 in my game if I wanted it that way. The option is there for someone to have ratings over 100 on the 1-100 scale if someone wanted to have it like that.

After messing with those options you are able to select how accurate scouting reports are: Very Low, Low, Normal, High, Very High, or 100% Accurate. This lets the players that want to know the exact values to know them. This lets the players like me who want to select a lower accuracy so that there are hits and misses have that luxury as well. The great thing is the AI is also playing by the same rules as you. If you play with Low or Very Low accuracy then the AI is also limited in the same manner as you and is at risk of misidentifying talent levels and projections and may make moves that will be looked back on years later as lucky, unlucky, etc.

What is great with these scouting reports is that they give you the values like real MLB reports. You get their hitting traits rated and have the potential with it. Their fielding skills rated currently and with a potential, etc. You also get a description of what kind of player they are. Here is the current one for Ozzie Albies in my franchise,

"Ozzie Albies has been with the Atlanta Braves for 3 years. He grades out as a plus defender. He knows how to use his speed on the field. He makes regular contact, with an aggressive approach. Albies has the speed and contact to make him a prototypical leadoff hitter."

You get a rundown of what the ratings can show, but also a little bit about his traits like he is an aggressive hitter. Depending on how good my scout this report may be spot on, it may be off and undervaluing or overvaluing Ozzie. Only time will tell in my franchise.

Here is another scouting report on Freddie Freeman,

"Freddie Freeman is a first baseman and a 10-year MLB veteran. Players around the league marvel at his hitting ability. He'll watch bad pitches sail by, waiting for a pitch he can handle. He has some pop in his bat. Freeman has the tools to profile as a premier first baseman."

One for Josh Donaldson,

"6-foot-0 third baseman Josh Donaldson is from Pensacola, Florida. He is patient at the plate and will wait for a pitch he wants. His strength and quick wrists make for pure power. He is a quality defensive third baseman. Donaldson can put a hammerlock on the third baseman slot."

As you can see it gives you decent overview both on things the ratings would tell you and on traits you otherwise wouldn't know. Like real life they aren't always accurate, unless you select the option to make them 100% accurate. These are the kind of options I think many here would love to have and they provide the ability for users of all ranges from casual to hardcore to find a mix that they enjoy.

― Plato