View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #28
Phillyboi207
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: UFC 4: Adding another range.

Just wanted to add to this thread
More than hook range is missing. Here’s a detailed post I made about ranges awhile ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Proper range management

Ranges and distances

I think a big reason the magnetic striking is an issue is because ranges arent very accurate when it comes to a lot of strikes. The game will say a forward moving uppercut should be in kick range and the result will look wonky because they have to slide to make up for the lack of range on the striking animation.

Per GPD from the deep dive article:
“There are five ranges to be aware of in the game:

Elbow Range
Punch Range
Kicking Range
Step Kicking Range
Out of Range”

What I’m proposing is extending upon this and adding more ranges. Including the optimal ranges for grappling.

Elbow range -> Stationary elbows/knees/uppercuts, very fast over/under clinch attempt, can also interrupt strikes going for over under

Hook range -> Forward moving elbows/uppercuts/knees, stationary hooks, very fast single collar clinch attempt

Straight punch range -> Stationary jabs/straights/overhands, forward moving hooks, oblique kick, optimal double leg/ single range

Round kick range -> stationary Leg kicks/roundhouses, forward moving straights /overhands, spinning kicks, stationary side kicks(to the leg), forward moving oblique, decent double leg range

Straight kick range -> Side kicks, push kicks, forward moving leg kicks/ roundhouses, forward moving side kicks to the leg, ankle pick range, desperation double leg range

Stepping straight kick -> forward moving side kicks/push kicks, desperation ankle pick range, maximum imanari roll range

Out of range

Why is this important? Proper range management is arguably the most important skill in combat fighting. This way a forward moving uppercut doesnt involve the fighter sliding forward to land from kick range. This is also fixes the issue of everyone throwing the same combo. It places more thought on each strike.

In addition minor lunge would hop you between the smaller ranges, push would knock you back one range,stationary back sway takes you back one range,retreating back sway takes you back two ranges, Major lunges would take you back two ranges.

Im hoping this is something both the competitive and the sim crowd want. In traditional fighting games range mastery is vital.

TLDR; Add more ranges to help give strikes their purpose and allow more moves to shine.

If i’m incorrect on any ranges please offer feedback. I have a boxing background and I’m more than willing to learn.