View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #31
1212headkick
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: UFC 4: Adding another range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
Ah man, hadn't thought about that and haven't managed to come up with a solution tbh!

One thing popped into mind that we discussed a while back which I'd like to bring up again, as it makes sense when talking about range.

360 head movement, more importantly, being able to hold a sustained position which isn't 100% committed in 1 direction.

Afaik, we either lean completely or not at all. The only way to access those sort of inbetween full leans is the minor lean which is the quick flicking of the stick.

What we actually need is a way to sustain minor leans, but forget the minor leans, go one further and make it so you can sustain between full and none, allowing us to expertly control that nuanced part of distance, especially for boxing, like we can in FNC, by letting us hold a position.

Say we get the things we want with more accurate footwork and the punch ranges, we still can't do a proper pull counter. I mean, we can, but it's not the way that dudes actually use it, which is to lean forward slightly, giving the illusion you are closer, then pulling way back and firing off a counter punch.

Floyd and Conor for example.

But I'm not a huge fan of the pull counter anyway, I am a fan of giving different looks though and being able to control how far we lean is a great way to give a different look and fake out an opponent, especially if we can sustain a lean without being fully 100% sustained, as this gives us a way to interrupt and change rhythm.

Examples of sustained leans irl:
- Lean forward, pull back, cross counter Mayweather style
- Lean to the back leg, setup range using feet, throw a big overhand Dan Hendo style or T Wood style

Oh, and another thing they could add is being able to move our feet intelligently while leaning, provided we are in a suitable position like the forward lean or the back leg Hendo lean. For the forward lean it would be small steps and slower movement, as that position doesn't enable fast forward movement or shuffles, but for a Hendo back lean, we could literally shuffle our feet as if we were throwing a shotput or javelin.

More examples of sustained leans:
- Slip right, slip left, hold left position, come back to center, slip left again.

^^ That sequence there is an example of using interrupted head movement to confuse an opponent. Combine that with articulate forward foot work and or ring cutting and you have a total new depth to pressure fighting.

Every decent head movement pressure fighter has to use sustains at times too, it's not only counter fighters so I think it's something definitely worth adding and looking into for the range discussion.
100% Floyd is known for leaning over his front foot and pulling back at the last second. He regularly pull counters straights
Advertisements - Register to remove