Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
kinsmen7
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Prospect Progression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpersak
Just curious if you guys have ever seen a prospect with "A" potential just not really hit well at all in the minors?

I have Victor Victor Mesa in my Marlins franchise and no matter which minor league system I put him in, he always hits like .217 with like 5 home runs and very minimal RBIs by the end of the season. He has "A" potential too which makes me curious as to why he wouldn't be mashing in the minors. I understand he's not a power hitter in real life as I've done some scouting but I'd expect him to be hitting closer to .300 or even over it.

If he's not going to hit well in the minors it makes me very hesitant to promote him to the majors.
I've got Mesa in my franchise as well. First season, I've got him in AA and he's hitting .244 in June after a very slow start.

I have no intention of pushing him to the majors until at least May-June 2020, and only if he's on a hot streak in AAA.

Important to remember that in real life, sometimes prospects hit their potential, but often times they don't.

I think Mesa's scouting report re: his offense, really reflects what both of us are seeing:

"Scouts are less certain about Mesa's offensive upside. He makes consistent contact, but he doesn't drive the ball much with a relatively flat right-handed swing and he puts the bat on the ball so easily that he doesn't walk much. He could wind up as a faster version of Albert Almora and may not require much time in the Minors."

He's also hitting .227/.273/.247 in high A IRL.