View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
rickpersak
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Prospect Progression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I'll piggy back off of what max said. The only time a demotion hurts morale is when it's a 40 man roster player who has a told expectation that's major league proportionate. If a guy is not hitting in triple A or double A and they have potential to be good, I have no problem sending them down a level as to not ruin them. In some cases if a guy continues to under perform their potential will drop. For some reason potentials drop more frequently then they go up.

I have noticed no negative effects of sending a prospect down to single A. Sometimes I will pick up a prospect in a trade who was on another teams triple or double A team that had no business being there after I acquire them. I have seen. I negative effects.

As a rule of thumb I try and keep all 18 and 19 year olds in single A unless they are significantly better than everyone else I have at the next level. Also, once a prospect hits 22 I put them at least at double a regardless of ratings. It's almost a crap or get of the pot situation. They either hit and improve quickly or they flame out. At that point t they are old enough that I have nothing to lose if they flame out so to speak.

The only time I have seen a prospect becomes disengaged or angry for being left in the minors to long is if there expectation is a major league role in the morale screen.
If/when you draft a prospect who is already 21 or 22, do you typically put them in AAA right away since they're older or do you still stick them in AA or A to build up their stats first?

I typically tend to stay away from the 22 year olds, obviously, since they're older to begin with but sometimes you see one that you can't pass on in the draft.