View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #23
illwill10
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Why do you think that would be easy, out of curiosity? They'd still have to license everything you just referenced, and re-architect the game for very different consoles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I agree, it isn't as simple as people think it is
One) You can't just port an old sports game to a newer console. There is a reason we don't see official remasters for sports games. Its different from what you see in the YouTube PC videos. If you modernized graphics, you have to modernize gameplay as well. For as good as APF animations were, it would look very wonky on current graphics. You are just better off building a new engine, but it isn't that simple to invest in new engine.
Two) it would cost a lot to re-license those players and update the game to a new generation of consoles. Heck, you would have to update it to the next generation as well. A game that was based off of the PS2/Xbox engine, would not easy to convert to Ps5/new Xbox. They couldn't just use the same legends again. They would have to get more. Most high profile legends probably don't want to associate their new on something that isn't high profile. Even if they can get some current former players, it wouldn't be as profitable.

Three) if a game with NFL legends didn't sell well 12 years ago, it damn sure wouldn't sell well now. The casual fan won't know many NFL legends outside of certain players. A generic football wouldn't sell. They would have to go crazy in depth to sell that game. Even then, it would still need to promotion from a high profile recently retired player because a current player wouldn't risk it.

Only way, I see 2k making a football game is if NFL license becomes available. That seems unlikely because Madden sells well each year and doesn't rock the boat. Madden and NFL has kept the exclusive license updates very quiet. We don't really know when it expires again. I think they last renewed it 2016. The ESPN license ends next year. EA mainly uses it just for advertising. So 2k could possibly go back for ESPN license. That could open the door