View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
trekfan
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
The Silver Bullet: A Florida Gator Story

System/Game: PS3/NCAA Football 14
(Moved to PC and RPCS3 for the 2016 season)

Mode: Dynasty
Rosters: 2013 Roster Set by jhasley10
Sliders: All-American – no alteration to anything, straight default flavor
(For Year 3 2015 season, these were switched to Heisman, fatigue off, to provide a greater challenge and increase user injuries)

Quarter Length: 8 Minutes

Coach Progression: Normal
Coach Contracts:
ON

My coach is at a normal progression but starts off with 0 skills — he’s totally new to this game, coming from a non-coordinator background (think a Dabo situation) and taking over a big program.

House Rules:

I’ve added in a few wrinkles to keep this interesting, but nothing too extreme. I haven’t played this game for many years and recently renewed my love of it when I found some classic college football games on YouTube.

1. Juniors MUST leave – if a junior declares for the draft, I cannot persuade them to stay. I’m of the mindset that if a player wants to go pro and get that money, then they should, so that’s what my coach here will do as well. This means that when recruiting I’m going to have to take my best guess at who among my juniors/redshirt sophomores are staying or going, which adds a bit of guesswork.

2. Schedule MUST rank at least A in difficulty – I’m not here to play (many) patsy schools. My schedule must be tough in order to impress the pollsters and get my program to the top of the mountain.

3. Opening game must be a top-25 opponent every-other year, minimum – my school must schedule a tough opener every other season (starting in year 1).

4. Random number generator for random storylines – at the beginning of each year I roll between 0-10 using a random number generator. That determines the number of “storylines” my team will have in a given year. If that number hits 0, my team starts the season with no storylines.

If it’s greater than 0, we go into the roll off. So, say for instance I roll a 5 at the beginning of the year – that means I have 5 storylines I must choose for my team. I’ve composed a list of 99 of the most common college storylines you can get – from training camp accidents, arrests, injuries (sending guys to the bottom of the depth chart to remove any chance of play time), suspensions, academic issues … you get the gist.

Since I rolled a 5, that means I have 5 attempts in the 1-99 random number generator. For each attempt, I have to choose a position group (there are QBs, RBs, FBs, WRs, TEs, Ts, Gs, Cs, DEs, DTs, OLBs, MLBs, CBs, FS, SS, K, P — so 17 in total) for that storyline to take place.

So, I rolled a 5, I then roll 1-99 and it lands on #29 — suspension. I then roll for the position group, 1-17, and it lands on 7 — so one of my guards is about to get suspended. I then look to see total number of guards, set the number generator 1-maximum number (let’s say 6), and it lands on 2 — that means my second best guard must be suspended.

I then roll 1-15 (number of weeks in season) to see how long that storyline plays out, and that guard is suspended for that amount of time.

It’s kinda a long math problem but it adds a good bit of flavor to the proceedings.

And with that out of the way … welcome! I’m trekfan, a frequent poster of dynasties over in the basketball side of the forum, and a lifelong, diehard fan of one team and one team alone: the Florida Gators. NCAA Football used to be how I got my fix in the long summer months back when I was in school, many moons ago, and I recently rediscovered my love of this game. I went and tracked down a good copy off Ebay (my first attempt with the Gamestop copy did not work, as that disc looked like it was used by a DJ with long fingernails), dusted off my old PS3 (still rocking), grabbed a capture card, and have my set up locked in.

I’ve got a bunch of material written up, two season’s worth, and I’m steadily adding to it as we go along — so sit back, relax, and enjoy. I’ll be reporting on the team and the squad with news articles, game recaps, recruiting news, and looks at the top-25 each week.

As always, any and all comments are welcome.

Last edited by trekfan; 01-04-2021 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added Ring of Honor for Exceptional Players
Advertisements - Register to remove