View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
Sm27
Rookie

Sm27's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: RBU Update - version 19.1 (download link)

Hallelujah!!!!
I am downloading now. This is an answer to my prayers!!!!
It appears that this file at the link is a ".exe" file and not a ".dmg" file so it is only PC friendly.
Can you do a separate upload of just the ".xls" file so I can open it in Excel on a mac?

Couple more questions concerning workflow application of this utility:

I know that in your previous release, the excel macro would not look up players prior to 1950.
If this is still the case, it would be EXTREMELY helpful if you could give us a "Standalone Template" Excel template that we could either use to:

1.) Find a pre-1950 player's "best year and worst year stats" on BB Ref.com by pasting in a "lookup link", and then spit out ratings in the categories that really matter for performance in MLB the show by averaging the Best and Worst stats.
or
2.) Supply a formulated template where we could paste in the stats ourselves to spit out ratings in the MLB the Show2019 format.

Here is my dilemma...
There are some really good and pretty detailed "historical rosters" out there.
As for myself, I always have two conflicting areas that bug me and force me into choosing one roster over the other:

1.) Player models / equipment / stance / windups are close to accurate in one roster, but the ratings are too high, or not cohesive to the SDS "legends" in the game, or have not been re-rated using your previous tool, so I cannot replace "user created legend" with "MLB The Show2019 Legend" and then simply use your beautiful Ratings Utility to re-rate the In Game Legend Player.

2.) Player Models are not great in another roster, but the ratings have been done using your previous tool.

Your help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Steve McGuire
SM27
PSN-Crash_Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTommy67
NOTE: To the four people who have already downloaded, please download again. I uploaded the wrong file which will give incorrect ratings. Sorry for this...I can never seem to get it right the first time!

The RBU utility requires Microsoft Excel with Visual Basic installed (macros enabled). I use 2016 version but previous versions have been confirmed to work. The utility will NOT work with excel online or other spreadsheets.

It's been awhile since I updated (last version was two years ago), so I figured it was time.

A few changes to how ratings are calculated:

*Defensive ratings (minus arm strength) are now calculated yearly based on seasonal statistics. I've done away with using career ratings with regression built in. Additionally, I am now using only fielding error percentages for the fielding rating. Reaction ratings are now a result of fielder zone ratings (exclusively). The reasons I've done this:

1) In gameplay, it seems reaction ratings are more critical to overall fielder performance than the fielding rating. Even players with low fielding ratings can make acrobatic plays, but high reaction players are clearly the better defenders. Since the sim engine uses the fielding rating to reproduce errors, it makes sense to adjust this.

2) Players have historically had better/worse years defensively, and using career ratings eliminates this. Seasonal ratings help reproduce better sim engine results in terms of error rates. There are still problems, but there is really no perfect way to do it as long as they make the fielding rating control multiple things.

3) Doing career fielding ratings is enormously time-consuming!

As a result, you may notice some things that might not look right, such as Ozzie Smith's fielding rating being lower than expected for some seasons (because he made more errors), however, keep in mind that the reaction rating is derived from overall zone ratings and will likely be reflective of superior defensive performance. Of course, you can always change what you don't agree with. Overall, however, I think this is better.

Arm strength ratings are still done the same way.

*I've re-scaled clutch ratings to help produce higher averages with RISP and hopefully more run production, but I haven't tested this extensively. As far as I've seen, clutch ratings have little if any effect in the sim engine.

*Standard rating calculations are unchanged, aside from a minor change to pitcher stamina which effects players who were both starters and relievers (the change is probably not noticable).

*I adjusted appearance scaling for players with very low appearances...the result is these players are (mostly) rated lower now. This will keep their usage down on cpu-controlled teams. Also, I made some changes to how minor leaguers are scaled to get them in the proper ranges.

*Historical scaling is being done differently though you will not likely notice a difference. The good news is that the new method should (fingers-crossed) allow me to make next year's release coincide with the game release. No more waiting.

*I've added an option to select career ratings when compiling player lists. You will see it on the settings page. Keep in mind these are straight averages (though each season is weighted according what percentage of a player's total appearances happened in that year), so the ratings will be pushed toward the mean more (less 90s, for example).

If you have any questions, you can post here. Let me know if you come across any bugs.

JT

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0b6l6z...U19v1.exe/file