CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden 20 Ratings Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by task477
Appreciate it a bunch, dude.

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but do you know if there's any thread or site that gives a detailed description of what each rating category affects? Many of the ratings seems fairly obvious (like speed, jumping or throw power), but a lot of them seem pretty murky to me. For example:

- Do the Route Running categories simply affect the DB's reaction time based on the depth where the cut is made, or do they specifically affect different routes (Short for slants & drags, Deep for go's and comebacks)? Which routes are affected by which category?

- What's the difference between Elusiveness and Break Tackle? At first glance it would seem like they would be describing the same thing. Same thing with Play Recognition and Awareness.

- The effect of several categories seems invisible from my standpoint. Do Spectacular Catch, BC Vision, Impact Block, Pursuit, and Toughness actually do anything?
These questions haven't been answered officially by EA recently, and unfortunately the answers aren't collected all in one place. Answers do exist, thought, scattered across various developer tweets, archived old blog articles, and accumulated tribal knowledge.

As far as I know:

- The short / medium / deep route running ratings introduced in Madden 19 each govern the result of a route based on which route a receiver is running. I found a source for this one which goes into a small amount more detail: https://www.ea.com/games/madden-nfl/...hise-deep-dive (scroll down).

- Break Tackle determines the likelihood of a player breaking a tackle once contact is made, assuming the tackle is was not a hit stick tackle. Same source.

- Elusiveness I think is used in non-contact fake-out chances in conjunction with the fake-out move used. For example, if you do a spin move in an attempt to evade a tackler prior to contact, the game will check ELU and SPM in its fakeout calculation.

- Spectacular Catch, at minimum, gates animations played in two-man and three-man aggressive catch scenarios. The higher the rating, the more and better animations the player has access to. There was help text in the Madden 18 (and earlier) franchise player progression menu which detailed the required SPC thresholds to unlock new animations. A few other ratings also gate animations similarly, such as Trucking and Stiff Arm. Again, see the Madden 18 progression help text.

- Play Recognition is used on defense as a replacement for Awareness in most situations and is very important for CPU controlled defenders, including but not limited to governing how that defender will react to playaction.

- Awareness is still used anywhere on the field for identifying and tracking a ball in-flight, recovering a fumble, attempting to fall on a fumble vs. attempting to scoop-and-score a fumble, and CPU quarterbacks' general-purpose cognitive ability. I don't immediately have a source for this one. AWR and PAC are very important for CPU-controlled players, but aren't relevant for user-controlled players (unless you are using the Defensive Assist button).

- Ball Carrier Vision governs the ability of a CPU-controlled ballcarrier to read blocks and identify open running lanes. Similar to AWR and PRC above, this isn't relevant for user-controlled ballcarriers.

- Impact Blocking takes over for other blocking ratings in the open field, especially when a blocker running at full speed engages with a defender. Impact Blocking is what is checked to determine when to trigger a de-cleater block.

- Pursuit affects angles defenders take when chasing ballcarriers. A lower Pursuit rating will result in worse angles being taken. Since the user decides the pursuit angle of the defender he is controller, this isn't relevant to user-controlled defenders (unless you are using the Defensive Assist function).

- Toughness determines the severity of an injury after one has occurred. A lower Toughness rating will increase the likelihood of a player suffering longer-term injuries. Toughness has no bearing on determining if an injury occurs at all, however; that's the Injury rating's purpose.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 07-16-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove