View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
coach422001
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Transfer Budget Increase

Fifa (PES, Football Manager) is a completely different animal than American sports. Personally I would not count on the youth academy to keep my team up as this 'process' (I'm talking to you, 76ers!) would take too long in football. The other mentality to get in is that there are a wealth of players out there through the multitude of leagues, so you're not, like the Knicks, stuck when all your hopes for signing any decent free agent in the league are dashed, because you can look at other leagues in EU, or South America, or Japan, etc. I think rebuild in football is a long, long process (unless you're southampton where you dump everyone at once). When Palace came up Ian Holloway went on a big spending spree and frankly very few players were useful for that squad. I like the idea of finding decent experienced players that aren't too expensive to start improving positions where you see you are weaker than the upcoming year's competitors. Now you spend the bulk of your transfer money in Leeds on one player; if you were already close in ratings to the bottom three and depending on your own skill that may be enough to keep you up, but you may also want to consider selling one or two players to recoup some transfer money to fill in the squad with some talent to get you through the first year. So if you have a 90 striker and your midfield is low 70s, selling the striker, getting a lower rated striker and also improving your midfield with the money you get could be another strategy. It is pretty rare for a team to do what Wolves did last season, so depending on what your board expects from you, you may have to adjust your thinking. If staying up is the priority, take that as the re-build will be slower, taking it one rung at a time. If you go down (and don't get fired) it will be interesting to see how the money dries up and how you'll have to handle the players there. While I like the idea that they will fire you from a job, I think we miss out on the interesting challenge of trying to bring the team you brought up once back into the top flight league again.

Somewhere you can find real Fifa rankings of the world leagues. I like that this is part of football manager. A while ago I played and the EPL dropped in ranking below La Liga which I thought was cool to see.