Old 07-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
kjking70
Rookie

kjking70's Arena

OVR: 0
The Patriot's Way: A Newcastle United Career Mode

Recapping the Sale of Newcastle United
By: Kevin Perry

Newcastle Football Club has been abuzz over the last few days after owner Mike Ashley decided to sell the club to American billionaire Robert Kraft. Fans had been unhappy with Ashley’s management of the club and its finances, and many were happy to see a new face at the helm. Kraft is well known in America as the owner of the successful American football team, the New England Patriots. He also owns an MLS club, the New England Revolution, and, in a press conference held at St. James Park was quoted as saying, “The opportunity to be involved in premier soccer league worldwide and a club with a history as rich as Newcastle has been something I’ve been interested in for years. I’m very excited to embark on this new journey and bring the winning ways of the Patriots across the pond to such a prestigious club.” The Patriots are one of the most successful teams in the NFL, having won 6 Super Bowls since the turn of the century behind star quarterback Tom Brady. The Revolution, meanwhile, have had varying levels of success. They have reached the finals of the MLS Cup playoffs five times, although never winning it. They won the US Open Cup, the American equivalent of the FA Cup, in 2007, and have been to the final twice more. However, they have struggled in recent years and haven’t qualified for the playoffs in the past 3 seasons. Still, Kraft is confident that Newcastle will resemble the success that the Patriots have had. He said, “We’re going to follow the Patriots Way. That team was built with smart business, good talent evaluation, and excellent coaching. It will be more about the collective team than any one individual. We don’t expect to be breaking the bank on any one player, but instead identifying talent that we believe will thrive in our system.” Perhaps the most difficult aspect of that to replicate will be the coaching. Kraft has brought over a relatively unproven coach in former Revolution U19 manager KJ King, and has appointed him as manager. King will be in charge of transfers as well, and despite his lack of experience, Kraft spoke glowingly about him. “He’s seen the process and how well it worked in the NFL. He has been instrumental in helping develop talent at the Revolution, and the coaches all had nothing but positive things to say about him. I believe he is the right man to lead this club into the future.” King himself released a short statement, saying “I’m very grateful for the opportunity to manage such a great club, and I’m excited to get to work. I still have to meet with the squad and make decisions about our tactics and what areas might need strengthening for the upcoming season, but I look forward to the challenge and I think we will be successful.” While that all sounds good, Newcastle fans have had enough of nice words and will need to see results on the field. They have not won a league title since 1927, haven’t won the FA Cup since 1955, haven’t qualified for the Champions League since 2003, and haven’t played European football since 2013. Still, Kraft has a positive outlook for the future, ending his press conference by saying “We are going to be successful. I know this club can achieve greatness, and I won’t settle for anything less.”

Last edited by kjking70; 07-29-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove