View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
devroyce
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Higher Zone Usage Is More Like Modern NBA Defense On 2K19 (Play Now Mode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell31
devroyce, love what you did here: This adds to thinking, simulation basketball!

I am taking the liberty of working with your discovery on my coach's spreadsheet. I had discovered that the substitution percentage on the Coach's Profile is incorrect, so I worked out a formula based on roster usage to improve it. It took a while, but I recalculated and then entered the new values into the game, and they work very well.

I had left Zone Usage blank on my sheet because I was not certain what direction to go to recalculate that. Your work is looking good on my spreadsheet so far:

Steve Kerr 65
Mike D'antoni 70
Alvin Gentry 53

The values are lower than yours but higher than 2K's roster maker. My values are lower because I am using the statistics associated with a coach's historic best record. Gentry's best teams were in Phoenix and defense was different 15 years ago. Kerr's and D'antoni's numbers are from the last three years.

I am looking forward to crunching out the rest of the League and inputting to see what happens. Previously, I lowered the Jumpshot release sliders to 25 for me and the AI, and jacked the Layup sliders to 100: That got 3FGAs up to today's standard, but I want to put those sliders back and try what you are doing.

I like playing MyLeague as a history simulation, and since 2K came out with the physical contact slider I have often wondered what it would take to replicate smash-mouth 1990's basketball. I think you may have the solution.

I will let you know what I find!
Very interesting. Awesome to hear it works out well! Yes, please let us all know. By the way, what mode are you playing on? Is it still MyLeague?

I have all my Defense (Strength/Gather/Release Section) sliders at 50 except for Inside Contact...set at 100. I kept the Jumpshot Gather and releases at 50...and still got a whole lotta 3pt attempts as seen on my pictures in previous posts to prove my point on the OP... ...even having to lower the tendency at times. Especially with Zone Usage at 100 playing versus CPU for Gameplay purposes...letting everyone know that we don't need to change too many sliders to get desired results if one thing can alter the landscape of the game in a huge way. I have always tweaked too many sliders throughout years and stumbled across this because I was tired. Now, I still tweak, but not as much with this method. The game appears more straight forward whereas you get what you put into it, along with it appearing more modern, allowing less tweaking to match today's game style. Just my two cents...having fun with it.

Keep posting! We'd love to see more insight and knowledge. It may help someone on the forum.

Last edited by devroyce; 08-03-2019 at 06:50 PM.