View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #197
therizing02
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
You're in the kitchen prepping a meal and you've identified that you need 4 pans to complete the menu. You prep your meal and go about your merry way.

A week later, you are in your kitchen about to prep the exact same meal as before. But this time, you only have three pans available. What happens?
  • It's going to take longer to make the meal - this is the primary "point"
  • Knowing it will take longer, you're going to change something about how you make the meal - this is the "counterpoint"

Sliders are the same way....you make a modification to a slider, you modify some aspect of the game (the "point"). BUT, the CPU also changes it's behavior to adjust to that change (the "counterpoint").

I've already spoken at-length in the OP about not introducing "Slider RNG" by heavily modifying gameplay sliders. And we're not going to here. Instead, I want to modify the CPU behavior (the "counterpoint") by making the smallest of gameplay slider changes. To do that, we're going to use a slider range of 49-51 for select sliders. These are subtle changes that don't have meaningful direct impacts, but can (in many cases) change the behavior of CPU-controlled players. Going back to the kitchen example, it would be like taking away your garlic press and forcing you to use a knife (it DOES change how you go about prepping things, but doesn't meaningfully change the time it takes to prep the meal).

I think we'd all agree that the CPU controlled defenders attempt "hit stick" tackles way too often. What would make you attempt fewer big hits? What if you were better at tackling? If you were better at tackling, you wouldn't need to go for big hits as much. So, let's introduce our first "counterpoint" modification.

User and CPU Tackling: 51 (in CFM sliders ONLY)

To anthropromorphize a bit, the CPU-controlled defenders (on both sides) go, "Oh, I tackle better now...I don't need to hit stick so much". And this is exactly what happens; the variety in tackle types increases a lot. There are still big hits - but they are mixed-in with a lot of other animations. It actually lead to a lot of really cool animations that I had yet to see this year. Some other folks have also tested this out and have all reported similar outcomes. (Oh and someone will ask: do NOT touch the fumble slider to compensate! It will actually make matters much worse.)

If we push the sliders out more beyond that range, the primary effects will quickly override the counterpoint. If I raise the TAK slider to 53, they may still use the hit stick less, but the TAK slider will now imbalance things from an outcome perspective ("Slider RNG") and lead to more big hits.

I'm posting this now (and will update the OP) to introduce the concept of "counterpoint" and because it is a really nifty change in of itself. I'm actively working on "counterpoint" changes to other gameplay areas right now. As I feel confident with other changes, I will post them.
Thanks for the update. Been enjoying these "sliders" by playing all of the Week 1 games in Franchise. Some interesting results that I'll highlight later.

This may be the first time the word "anthropromorphize" has been used at OS