View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
brunopuntzjones
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: How do I get better at stealing bases?

NEVER take a lead if you plan to steal with a fast runner. They totally broke this last year, I think. If you take a lead and load a steal, you will get picked off half, or more, of the time, regardless of your baserunner's skill.

I only take leads if I'm going to attempt a steal with a slower guy, but only after testing the pitcher by taking them with no intent to steal. If he's ignoring me, then I might make the attempt.

My preferred tactic is to wait 2-3 pitches and see where I am in the count. When I'm ready to steal, I wait until the pitcher is set, then tap R2. Before or as he goes through his windup I hold L1 (I think some folks prefer to tap it rapidly).

Try to get yourself to counts where the pitcher needs throw a strike. If you have a fast guy on base, they'll often use the first two pitches on pitch outs or quick pitches. If they get to 2-0, they're unlikely to risk making it 3-0, so try going then. Just watch for a pickoff move.

If the pitcher is ahead, you still have a better chance deeper in an AB, but it's riskier.