View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 11:05 PM   #39
illwill10
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

Since September is around corner, we are about month in half to 2 months(end of October) away from hearing about the findings from the NCAA Working Group about player compensation. Besides a few small reports, everything has been hush hush since the May 17 announcement. While there is optimism, there is doubts. NCAA has really painted themselves as villians. Even if they do agree on Player compensation, there are still hurdles to clear. We don't know how soon it will take place, if NCAA can come up with an agreeable compensation(Olympic seems to be mass preference), and if NCAA and a gaming company can come up with deal. NCAA is sure to make sure to have a lot more input this time around and doubt they will allow roster sharing. But even if they find an agreement. Not sure if 2k wants to jump back into college market. College Football is the strongest market, but not sure if they want to build a football engine for college football. It'll be alot easier to go into CBB, but market isn't as strong.

XFL could be option. There were rumors that either Axis or Maximum were trying to aqcuire the AAF license before it went belly up. I feel XFL should have more success this time around for several reasons. Mainly because hopefully they learned from first time and resources/finances shouldn't be issue like AAF. They need fans to enjoy product on the field and need some marketable players not just NFLs casts offs. Having a good video game can really help marketability for sport. I think if XFL is received well during the season, they should start looking for companys to develop a video game and realistically have one out before start of 3rd season(2022). The biggest company they could get is 2k. But I think for 2k to be interested, XFL has to coming out blazing hot. I think they are still waiting on NFL to open up. But since NFL loves/prefers exclusives, there's little chance because of how well Madden sales yearly.

I would love 2k Sports to expand back out its game catalog. With it mainly being just NBA, it allowed them to focus heavily on NBA. It has been a success. But I feel it is time for them to expand its sports genres. After year 2 of next gen and NBA 2k gets fully settled into next gen, I would want them to add more games. I'm not at all opposed to a generic football game as long as it has quality gameplay/graphics and depth. But realistically, major companies wont consider that because it won't sell well.