View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 06:16 AM   #123
illwill10
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
Time for Mark Emmert to step down we need fresh blood as head of the NCAA. Let's be honest we all know these kids are getting paid when 5-6 years ago maybe not all of us knew for sure.

It's time to change the culture completely because now there is a really bad black market of underground payments that has completely spiraled out of control. Some of these kids are literally being sold by their own parents to the highest bidder on some occasions. Bring the video games back give these kids a cut, a big cut. Allow these kids to make money off of jersey sales. Something has to be done because they're getting money under the table anyway so the concept of the student athlete is long dead, at least in football and basketball it is.
I agree.
We all know that most of these players are getting paid some how or are receiving special benefits(like grades). That has been the culture. By allowing players to make money off their own NIL, that should reduce the amount of underground business. It will still happen, but that allowing compensation is the first option.
That's why you are starting to see some top high school basketball players trending to overseas or G-League. Less national spotlight, but ability to get paid right away and performing well against professional athletes looks good for scouts. I can see XFL having an impact. XFL doesn't have to wait 3 years to go after a college player. They can go after a Freshman or Sophomore if they wanted. If XFL can maintain and have some success, thats an avenue for college players to consider. Colleges players could play one year and go to XFL for at least 2 years and get paid. They would get spotlight in XFL regardless if they starred in CFB. They would get scouted by NFL, and if they perform well against grown men trying to make name of themselves, it speeds up process. I don't know if they would be still subjected to draft, but it would if they could skip it and go straight to tryouts, thats a better route.
So I think there is too much outside pressure for nothing to happen. But I do think change is needed at the top