Old 09-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #19
PGaither84
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Can we talk about man coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSonTL
Explain Banjo for me boss and what coverage is it in?
ITP Glossary: Banjo Coverage

It says in he article:
"However, for every bubble screen and package play they develop, defensive coordinators are putting together new responses to the spread offense. One of those is the combo coverage, more commonly known by its NFL audible, “banjo” coverage."

They say new... but banjo has been a term that dates back to the the 60's or earlier. At least for me, BANJO was a term to describe how linebackers decided how to cover a TE and a HB/FB coming out of the backfield. The rules described in the article for defensive backs against receivers are the same as those I was raised with for Linebackers. There is even old NFL films footage of Mike Singletary yelling BANJO - HEY! BANJO! when you watch clips of the 86 Bears.

Essentially, it allows you to play man with zone logic.

In Madden 25 respected man coverage better than any game before it and is the one I still play for various reasons... but if you had leverage outside or inside with cover 1 or cover 2 man under, then you were going to get chewed up and spit out by the TE and runners coming out of the backfield. Especially with classic west coast route combos.

As I said before... as a 49ers fan who learned about Vic Fangio's defense at that time and how they used a ton of cove 1 bracket and cover 2 man under. Essentially , everybody is "doubled" even when you do not have enough players to actually double everyone. The X and Y outside are doubled by brcket coverage or an overhang safety and the CB undercuts short routes and can afford to bite on double moves because they have help. The linebackers could do the same as they played a banjo game with the releasing TE and HB. the 49ers LB core was so fast and talented that Bowman would bracket with the nickle-back against the slot threat. that is how they shut down the Patriots in 2012 on the road in NE. It takes talented and well coached players, which they had. It is what he did with the Bears. it is what he is no doubt teaching in Denver, but it takes time.