View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 05:03 AM   #11
Strings74
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Are signing bonuses and total contract value broken in Madden 20 Franchise Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
Please reread my third paragraph.

The bonus line doesn't say "total bonus". It says "signing bonus"....it's showing the per-year cap impact of the bonus. It's done that way to be consistent with the salary, which is ALSO shown on a per-year basis, rather than as total salary.

That contract is 3 years, 27 million....18 million salary, 9 million bonus. Both portions are broken down to show the approximate yearly salary cap impact.

Either way, the math works out correctly. If you'd prefer that they show both the total bonus and the yearly salary cap pro-rate for clarity, or just change that one line to say "yearly bonus prorate", I get that, but it's not broken...it's just how they chose to display it.

Not everybody's aware of how guarantee prorating works, so putting the total bonus amount next to a yearly salary amount could be very confusing to those people.

I've actually seen buddies who're a bit more casual get confused by this in past versions that showed total bonus instead of yearly cap impact. They'd try to front-load the cap impact of a contract by moving a bunch of salary into the bonus....for example, a 3 year, 30 million contract, they'd do 9 million salary, 21 million bonus, expecting the first year cap hit to be 24 million, then 3 million each in years 2 and 3. They'd get mad and/or confused when the salary cap hit was still about 10 million per year.

Especially since Madden contracts DON'T have all the options real-world ones do, keeping both amounts consistent, and geared toward cap impacts, is the better choice.

Aaaaah, I see what you’re saying.

In other words, when it says “signing bonus” that’s not actually the total bonus but rather the per year cap hit.

That’s a little weird to my thinking but I get it and I see your point about confusing very casual players. I just assumed it was meant to be the total bonus.

Thanks for clarifying.
Advertisements - Register to remove