View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
VeNOM3099
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Impressions a week later since this game has been out?

Finished my EA Access trial last night. I had no intention of buying this game, but after playing it for 10 hours, I'm 100% certain that I will not.

Yes, there are some things that changed, but not all of them for the better. To me, the one thing that I wanted to see improve was the human goaltending and that's taken several major steps backwards. Same for the AI Goaltending which is just ludicrously bad; when you can score 8+ goals against the AI at the Superstar difficulty there's something terribly wrong.

That said, there is some fun to be had when you play this game as a fun "hockey-lite" alternative. Ones is stupid fun, with the one thing marring the experience being the wrap-around glitch goal which (hopefully) will be patched out. If not, well there's always Squad Battles, but the aforementioned difficulty discrepancy means you can just rack up points galore and get a ton of free packs for a little bit of grinding, which I would rather do than have to face the throngs of online try-hards LT'ing and flicking-up their way to victory without even using one once of hockey skill or knowledge.

EA's NHL is what it is: it's a video game that tries to look like hockey. Somethings it gets right. Many things it gets wrong. To me? It LOOKS like hockey but FEELS nothing like it...

But that might not necessarily be YOUR experience with it or someone else's.

Last edited by VeNOM3099; 09-23-2019 at 12:08 AM.