View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
justaguyfromindy
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Colts Forged :: Indianapolis Colts [M19]

BRISSETT AND THE COLTS FAIL TO COME TO TERMS

INDIANAPOLIS, IN -- The Indianapolis Colts have parted ways with starting quarterback Jacoby Brissett after the pair were unable to negotiate a new deal. Brissett, a late third round choice in the 2016 NFL Draft, lead the Colts to a 7-9 record last season after the surprise retirement of Andrew Luck, as they failed to make another appearance in the playoffs.

"Jacoby has been nothing but a bonafide leader. Our guys really love him, so this is definitely a tough situation to be in. I totally wish Jacoby nothing but the best in the future, and I know he will attack his next opportunity," Head Coach Frank Reich said of the departure. "I have had a lot of conversations about Tyrod though - I still keep in touch with a lot of folks in Buffalo from his time there, and we're pretty excited to see how Tyrod can change this offense."

While fans in Indianapolis were not ecstatic with the decision, General Manager Chris Ballard stressed that it's all part of the process, "You know Jacoby and the type of player he is -- I don't have to explain that. He's a champion, and I believe that from the bottom of my heart. I cannot express enough gratitude for the culture he helped instill in his time here. As I've said before though, this is a dog-eat league, and that means that sometimes, we're going to have to make difficult decisions. I trust that Tyrod is our quarterback. He's a talented veteran, and I think that his leadership will maybe be able to help us in ways that Jacoby's didn't necessarily."

Ballard later emphasized that Tyrod wasn't a stop-gap for the future, "No, no, no, and I don't want to keep answering this question this offseason. We brought Tyrod in because we want to win now. We have the pieces, and we have the talent. We're a young football team, and we're a hungry football team."

Brissett, who's only 27, departs at a critical time in the offseason, as most teams have already addressed quarterback concerns during the draft, and even more didn't plan on his availability. Brissett's agent, himself, did say that he's had preliminary phone conversations with multiple teams - as a side note, Brissett was the only player in the 2016 NFL Draft to NOT hire an agent.

Catching up with Brissett as he exited the team facilities for the final time on Thursday, the quarterback did reaffirm his belief in the team, "Indy, you know you have a squad here. This is an entire team, and I'm very excited for your future. I hope you can say the same about mine, I'll always have a small part of my heart here."
Advertisements - Register to remove