View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
tessl
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: MoM 3-2 counts are way out of whack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHodges57
I started keeping track of the % of AB that result in 3-2 counts in games. In every game the 3-2 counts occur over 50% of AB's.

I checked numerous stats for recent seasons, and using this year as an example, the number of AB's that resulted in 3-2 counts was 14% (about 6 per 9 IP per team). I see at least 6 in the first 3 innings in a large majority of games, for both teams.

For my team, even calling for aggressive pitch, it does not make any difference. Most times the pitch is even farther out of the strike zone than when I hadn't called for anything. I've said many times before that I don't believe the pitch aggressive option works at all, and hasn't for at least the past 3 versions of the game. Seems like it actually pitches around. My mentioning this has probably been overlooked as unimportant but it is extremely frustrating being unable to have pitchers reduce the 3-2 counts. I won't even mention how often 0-2 counts turn into 3-2 counts.

As a manager you have no control as to pitching strategy, at least getting the pitcher to throw strikes.

I also believe the number of AB's that result in a first pitch swing is well below the real MLB average, but I haven't really checked that out yet. We definitely have no say so in the hitting strategy as far as running up pitch counts, getting aggressive early in the count, etc. A huge majority of the time pitchers in this game throw the first pitch right down the middle of the strike zone, but batters will not take the bat off their shoulder, even those with the quirk of being a great first pitch hitter. Not sure what purpose that quirk serves if the batter won't swing at a fat pitch that is a first pitch. I've asked for this ability for a number of years.
Default sliders?