View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #856
elnino457
Rookie

elnino457's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I know quite a few of you pop-in to my Twitch streams and follow along with the storylines - figured I'd give an update. (I know some of you just follow the thread for 'slider talk'...feel free to bypass this post)

I finished year 4 of my Dolphins franchise over the weekend. We were still in need of a franchise QB (Tyree Jackson, while talented, is more suited as a backup). One Strong Arm QB from Clemson (Richard Reed) had a first round grade and we decided to go all-in (we had the 15th overall pick).

We hit the FA phase and Dwayne Haskins was available (the 'Skins had an X-factor QB they hit-on in the mid rounds in a previous draft so they let Dwayne go - it totally made sense in the context). He was an 80 OVR (Star Dev) and I was SO tempted to try to sign him. I'm a big Buckeyes fan so I love the tie-in there, and I also like using Haskins when I initially started a Skins franchise (which I aborted when the o-line ability patch came out).

Anyways, next season is when SIX core players from my original draft class are due to be re-signed. I need to be flush with cap space to re-sign these guys, so as tough as it was, I bypassed Haskins and stayed with my strategy of gunning for Reed. I engineered a trade (giving-up 91 OVR CB Kendall Fuller, a 2024 1st and 2024 2nd to the Eagles for the first overall pick). Trading Fuller sucked, but he is on the last year of his deal - so it made some sense for me as I also got to keep my 1st rounder for the 2023 draft - giving me 2 firsts (picks 1 and 15). We managed to grab a couple of lesser picks for the 2024 draft by trading away former starting QB Tony Procter to the Jags.

So, hit the draft and select the QB Reed number 1 overall and he's a...69 OVR w/ Normal Dev (ironically the same as Tyree Jackson right now)...oh man did that dev trait sting. But a closer look: the dude is 22 yrs old, is huge, has 94 THP, he's right around 80 for his three accuracy ratings and has a good PA rating. From a pure passing perspective, he's already better than Tyree. That said, while I know that I can get his dev trait up if he performs well - he's far less of a 'sure thing' than I had hoped he would be.

I held firm at pick 15 and selected Reed's college teammate (a wonderfully fun storyline in of itself) in the 6'4" WR Kyree Love. And yowza, Love came in as a 75 OVR with hidden development, is big, fast, agile for his size, can jump, has very solid hands and good release skills. Grabbing Love at 15 really softened the sting of over-reaching for Reed and gives me my first legit big receiver since I started this franchise.

The rest of the draft went fine, we did get a FS (a need position) with hidden dev in the 2nd and while raw, he looks like a keeper. We filled in some depth with the other picks. I'm going to be honest, I was a bit bummed after the draft - I felt like I just drafted JaMarcus Russell v2.0.

Well, it took just 1 preseason game to get over that as I quickly began to appreciate the gifts of Kyree Love and Richard Reed. Kyree is going to be amazing - there is just something about him (I wouldn't be shocked if he were an X-factor). Reed, I can't explain it, but I just feel "in rhythm" with him. He needs a clean pocket, but he's solid on PA (a must-have for me) and can make all the throws. Reed will still miss throws, but he can thread needles too.

Fast forward to week 1 of the regular season. Neither rookie disappointed with Reed throwing for 5 TDs (throwing 4 picks - 3 on short routes that were entirely my fault) and Love racking-up nearly 200 yards receiving (and winning POTW honors) in an OT win vs Denver.

Frustrated with my continual trend of throwing too many INTs, I did some "labbing" in an alt franchise to find a playbook that works better for me and with this roster. I'll always throw a higher number of INTs as I like to challenge deep, and I am OK with that - the ones that kill me are the ones on those annoying short routes that define most PBs. I needed something more vertical, otherwise, I'll turn the best QBs in the game into interception machines.

While it kills part of my soul to have a PB with no I-forms (and the reason why I never tried it before), the Tampa playbook is just darn near perfect. It's a zone -blocking vertical scheme (fitting my roster to a tee) and it has a ton of deep-to-intermediate plays that aren't in a lot of playbooks. I ran it a bit in an alt Redskins franchise I'm tinkering with and it was spectacular for me with sub-optimal personnel. We'll be unveiling the new offense in my Miami franchise tonight vs KC and I'm pretty stoked.

Year 5 is pivotal for the continued growth of this franchise as 1 X-factor (RB Marcus Samuels) and 2 Superstar players (DT Jesse O'Brien and LG Jalen Bonds) are eligible for free agency (along with three other key starting players - my starting RG, RT, and SS). All six players are from my first draft class in 2020...so lots of history there.

Getting lost in one's own little fictional football universe is such a blast - I hope many of you have been able to do the same!
How were the results in your last 4 years?

playoff run?
superbowl winner?
mediocre ?

who is the team number one?

who is the worst?