View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
coachmac75
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: [MLB The Show 19] Miami Marlins Iron Man

In Coach Mac there is Coach...

It is the middle of June. We loose a lot of close games in our pitch by pitch Marlins iron man (enjoyable and amazing) journey.

Following a serie of three losses at home against the Pirates, 11.5 games behind Nationals in NL East. being at the bottom in nearly all offensive catgories it is time for a deep dive review of our approach.

With Pitching, ''it is is what it is'', without personnel changes both in the rotation and the bullpen I do not believe we can do much better. We need to live with what we have and mitigate.

Now on the hitting side, I don't get the best from my players. So it is time to analyse.The beauty of directional hitting (vs zone which i used a lot in the past) is to (normally) replace pad technique by baseball intelligence players attributes. So defining a better approach at the plate is essential with a better customisation applicable to our players. Let's try.

The problem

Simple and self explained... I do not mind the last in stolen bases or home run aspect, but when it comes to on base percentage, slugging and, morover runs/game, we cannot be happy with our performance.

The process

Like Billy Beane character says in Moneyball ''it is a process''... And it has to be.

So first thing first, let's give credit to TheWarmWind who made a masterpiece article and analyse about directional hitting and hitting in general. That article makes a lot of sense from a baseball sense standpoint. So similiar to Billy Beane inspired by Michael Lewis, I willinspire myself from the great work fromTheWarmWind.

(Note for TheWarmWind Ia ctually had a HR with Dietrich while hitting down with a natural swing)

My approach so far at the plate has been based on matchups (LHP/RHP vs RHB/LHB), players tendencies(pull vs push) and count to decide to use natural or contact swings. The outcome and lack of production force a review of the approach in order to bring more consistency and better rationales.

So the process is the following:
  • For each player we will redefine their at bat approach.
  • The approach will ignore pitching handeness, so willapply without any distinction betweenr LHP and RHP.
  • The approach will continue considering pitch counts to decide between natural and contact swings.
  • Being in mid June we have now enough data to better customise the approach for each hitter based on hitter profile (power vs contact), hitter tendency and hot/cold hitting zones.
  • That approach is going to be documented for each hitter of the active roster to ensure a consistent application of the plan.
  • .That approach willapply for 6 (in game) weeks so looking at our beautiful schedule we are June 17th and we will review the results at the end of a serie against Arizona (July 29th).
  • Situational hitting (sacrifice fly, avoid doubleplays...) will still apply and be an exception to the defined approach for each hitter.

The ''Marlins customised'' approach

So the application is the following...

Let's use two samples to illustrate our expected tactical approach for the next 6 weeks.

Player focus #1: Brian Anderson

For Anderson I have to say it is a difficult exercise looking at his archetype. He is akey player with an ''everyday'' role.
  • So far I was hitting pull when facing RHP and Down vs LHP.
  • Contact hitter, Pull tendency.
  • He is an obvious pull against RHP.
  • He is difficult to figure out against LHP.
  • count.

The new approach is looking to:
* vs LHP ''go 11 o'clock''whemn ahead in the count, Down when behind in the count.
* Pull vs RHP.

Player focus #2: Jose Osuna

Traded from Pirates last month to bring a platoon power bat. We need better contribution from him given his talent against LHP.Probably a player for which wemiss more at bats for a better analysis but giving it a try...
  • So far I was hitting push with him at the plate.
  • Now new approach will be to approach with Push when ahead in the count.
  • And ''5 o'clock'' when behind.
  • And down on situational ''must hit''.

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace

Last edited by coachmac75; 10-18-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove