Nunyerbiz
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4
Niagara Rhinos: An Alternate Universe NCAA 14 Dynasty

Welcome to the Tale of the Niagara University Rhinos
An Alternate Universe NCAA 14 Dynasty Report

Setting The Table:

This dynasty report is going to be featuring the Niagara Rhinos, a team from a Canadian university that exists in an alternate universe. There is a real Niagara University, a Catholic school based in New York, but I just want to make it clear that they are not the subject. This is a flight of fancy, the story of a fictional Canadian university that gets snubbed by the amateur establishment in Canada.

Seeing a desperate NCAA conference and a potential rivalry just across the falls in Buffalo, they decide to recruit a team of walk-ons, castoffs and JUCOs and switch to that bastardized Yank version of the game to join the NCAA. (For anybody who isn’t aware, what we know today as football had its evolutionary split from rugby in Canada sometime in the early 1860s).

There is no remotely plausible way the following events could happen in our real world… which is why I love alternate universe stuff… I get to have fun. So just kick back and relax. Think of it like that episode of Star Trek where the Enterprise had to go back in time to stop JFK and Marilyn Monroe from creating an unstoppable strain of herpes. That being said, certain events and figures will coincide. The Detroit Lions still stink. God still hates Cleveland. Alabama is still the preseason #1.

I won’t be getting too deep into the backstory beyond some initial world building posts at the start. I’ll get the Rhinos into the NCAA and then it’s off to the races. While I will take the recruiting/game play aspects very seriously, I intend to have at least a little bit of fun with the backstories and side stuff. Especially early on when my team will be a Bad News Bears / Major League / Unnecessary Roughness / Mighty Ducks / The Replacements / Little Giants / Cool Runnings / Slap Shot band of castoffs and misfits.

Before I continue, I just want to throw a quick shout out to my main two inspirations for this dynasty: Hellisan and Deegezy. They’ve both been around forever and I’ve been reading their stuff for years. They manage to weave the gameplay and storylines and presentation together in such a compelling fashion… Basically what I’m saying is that they are both very good at what they do, are old as **** and refuse to quit. Thanks to both of you for the great reads over the years! But seriously, I’m essentially stealing many of Hellisan’s mechanics and presentation aspects and can only hope to weave together a storyline like Deegeezy. Hope I’m not blowing too much sunshine up your skirts, but I have to give credit where it’s due. Now on to some boring stuff...

The Nuts and Bolts:

Platform: PS3
Difficulty: Heisman
Sliders: Custom (basically the OS Community sliders with some minor tweaks)
Quarter length: 9 minutes
Game Speed: Normal
Player Speed Threshold: 20
Ice the kicker: off
Home Field Advantage: on

NOTE: I won’t be doing any kicks/punts/FGs as a user… I am going to let the CPU handle it and watch the play… which it why I turned off Ice the kicker… it’s already going to be ugly enough at the start. As far as home field advantage… I never really trust EA and it’s under the hood baloney, the less of their meddling the better, but I’m aiming for a terrible team that is going to get their teeth kicked in for a few seasons… so I guess I’ll pile on the disadvantages.

Coach Starting Level: 1
Progression Rate: slowest
Coaching Skill Trees: To start I will only invest in recruiting perks for the head coach. Coordinators will only be allowed to unlock the lowest tier of upgrades. This is subject to change as time goes on, but the coaching skills can get overpowered pretty quickly… so I will likely keep things nerfed.

Rosters: I am using the default rosters with automatically generated names. Being a fictional universe, I'm not terribly interested in the real NCAA players from six seasons ago. The Rhinos are a Teambuilder squad I found sometime last year while searching for a rebuild project. I did not create them but my thanks to whoever did.

That's the major points, so for all the other details I'll be using the spoiler brackets to avoid this first post turning into a 2,000 word scrolling behemoth. I plan on doing lots of randomization and dice rolling for things like injuries, suspensions, player progression, etc. Most of these ideas were inspired by Hellisan and things he did in his excellent J.D.Clark Story... Further details below if you are interested.

Recruiting:
Spoiler

Player Progression:
Spoiler

Injuries / Suspensions:
Spoiler

Conference Changes:
Spoiler

Last edited by Nunyerbiz; 10-22-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove