View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
brickbybrick
Just started!

brickbybrick's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Any new conference realignment ideas?

I juust started a fresh dynasty with a new idea. I haven't read through the old ideas in a while, so I'm not sure how much it has been discussed.

I wanted to start a world where relegation happens every year in college football. I have 6 power conferences and 4 mid-major conferences. Every conference has 10 members - this allows for each team to play each other in conference. Each of the 6 power conference champs go to a 6 team playoff. Each of the 4 mid-major conference champs go to a 4 team playoff, where the winner is moved into a power conference the next year.

The power conference team with the worst conference record gets relegated to the mid-major level. When there's a tie (which I expect most years), I'll decide based on other factors like non-conference record, strength of conference, and scores. I might actually move two teams up and down, but I'll decide at the end of my first year and roll with that number for future years.

When creating the conferences, I based placement on team prestige stars, historical production, and default overall ratings. In general, I tried to keep teams in the same conference or with historical and/or geographical ties with other teams.

1st Year Conference set-up:

Power 6
ACC: Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Miami, NC State, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech

American: BC, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, West Virginia

Big 10: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin

Big 12: Baylor, Colorado, Kansas State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M

Pac 12: Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington

SEC: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Mid-Major 4
Mountain West: Boise State, BYU, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose State, Utah State, UNLV, Washington State

C-USA: Colorado State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, UTEP, Wyoming

Sun Belt: Arkansas State, ECU, Memphis, MTSU, So Miss, Troy, UCF, ULL, ULM, USF

MAC: Cincinnati, UConn, Duke, Marshall, NIU, Ohio U, Temple, Toledo, Wake Forest, W. Kentucky

All other teams are independents. I'll also move the top (2 or 4) independent teams up into the mid-major level and drop the bottom (2 or 4) mid-major teams.