View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
AKEjcl41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: A different approach to sliders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks freeze
Im not attempting to add difficulty, nor to make it any easier, just more natural/accurate. My goal is to balance an unbalanced game, seeking realism over anything else. I want to power up the weak areas and nerf the overpowered.

My sliders allow for any outcome based on talent(players), play calls, coaching, location, weather. I dont want to feel like I or the computer have an advantage, that the game is cheating either of us. I dont always want close games against vastly weaker opposition because the sliders arent equal, but I do wanna get my *** kicked by better teams when I deserve it. I want it to "work right", to give the best simulation possible.

Offensive Skill Heisman
Defensive Skill Heisman
User vs User Heisman
Injuries ON
Fatigue ON
Quarter Length 8(pass heavy)-10(run heavy) Minutes(9 for balanced)
Play Clock ON
Game Speed NORMAL
Threshold 0
HFA - ON

Penalties
Offsides - 100
False Start - 75
Holding - 100
Facemask - 55
OPI - 100
DPI - 100
KRI - 100
Clipping - 55
Int Grounding - 100
RTP - 55
RTK - 100

AI(both sets)

QBA 25
PB 25
WRC 50
RBA 75
RBL 75
PC 25
Int 75
Rush D 50
Tackling 75
FGP 75
FGA 25
Punt P 50
Punt Acc 100
KP 50

Autosubs(added 11/18/19)

Qb 45 65
RB 60 80
WR 55 75
TE 50 70
OL 40 60

60 80 dt
55 75 de
50 70 lb
45 65 cb
40 60 S

Because the game came with 50/50 sliders, I decided I wouldnt break the game in any way that favors the user over the cpu OR the cpu over the user. Equal sliders means neither side can cheat, its an even playing field. Any reduction is counter-balanced with an EQUAL improvement and vice versa. I wanted people to see my sliders and say "that looks official, it makes sense."

A major problem with this game(and almost every football game) is the pass game is too strong while the run game is inconsistent if not ineffective for both the user and cpu. Because of this, my first objective was to balance out the offense. After that, I adjusted the defense to compensate.

In order to balance the pass game out, I cut accuracy and pass block in half. This stops the qbs from being laser accurate in 2 ways, both when standing in a clean pocket(qb acc) and on the move(pass block). This gives the qb less time and makes them move more affecting their accuracy. WR stays at 50 though because drops occur naturally and will only get overblown lowering it.

To offset those changes to the pass, we boosted rb ability and run blocking. This improves the run game by opening better lanes and improving skill positions at finding people to block. It makes the rb more responsive to his surroundings/user input. This turns impact runners, especially dual threat quarterbacks, into much bigger issues. Power runners shine breaking tackles, agile runners are more shifty with their movement, not just moves.

On defense, we drop pass coverage to 25 to match the QB Accuracy. To balance that reduction, we boost Interceptions to 75, which cuts out most of the dropped "GIMMIE". To put it short, the defense wont always be in perfect position, but when it is, you better not throw it or you'll pay. Rush Defense we keep at 50 because it affects LINE PLAY, so it matches with Run blocking and Pass Blocking. We dont need to raise it or drop it because we balanced out their interactions on the offense. Tackle at 75 because we dont want scrubs running over impact players so it matches 75 run ability. This also makes tackling more aggressive/forceful. A weak rb/qb/wr better not run into a hard hitter without covering up...

For the Kicking, 75 fg power because it speeds the ball up in the air adding difficulty to shorter sideways kicks while boosting distance some allowing more long(40+ yd) fg attempts. We balance this with 25 fg accuracy making it more possible to miss easy fgs and giving a harsher penalty for bad flicks by the user. Punt power is fine at 50 but punt accuracy is atrocious. Even at 75, you rarely see a coffin corner or punt inside the 20. At 100, the best punters can change field position in one kick.

The penalties at 55 shouldnt go higher or they take over the game. The ones at 100 never/rarely get called. False start rarely gets called but you dont want offside to NEVER be called so it needs to be lower than offside. Besides, over 75, you cant fake hike often at all. At 75, you can use it if you dont abuse it. But know the scenario, dont use it if you cant lose the yards.

Ive watched the cpu v cpu in all kinds of matchups. im playing a dynasty a cupcake team just starting the 2nd season. Doesnt matter how you enjoy the game, you will get a more realistic and organic representation of the game. Please try them out and let me know what you think. Give them a couple games to prove themselves, use different teams and types of matchups. You'll see soon enough that anything can happen, but theres always a good reason for it.
Got VERY frustrated w/ my sliders last night. I tried something...so bear w/ me I was playing with a set that i can't remember their origin. I (Nebraska) played against a ranked Minnesota (94 ovr-93 off-92 def) and quit early. The first two plays while i was on defense, were 60+ yard runs for touchdowns w/ uncountable broken tackles, got sacked my 2nd play threw a pick on my 3rd play by a guy covering my WR from the opposite side of the field...on an out route...it hit my receivers hands bounced up in the air and intercepted by the guy trailing by 5 yards. The next play was a 20+ yard run. stopped them on the next two plays, and tackled a screen play for a loss on 3rd down and got a facemask penalty, gave up 2 more 3rd downs on that drive...and through the 1st quarter was down 21-0, 2 turnovers, 3 penalties and they were 4 of 6 on 3rd down. That was enough...i started over...different script of course, but the same kind of game...just felt like i got cheated...and my backs and receivers just get crushed on every tackle...sick of that. I simmed the game and took the loss. I don't mind losing, actually prefer it...if its done the right way...not when i'm being cheated.

I decided to try these sliders for the next game against a top 10 Michigan team (97-96-97). I was down 13-0 at halftime, being dominated in yardage, but gave up a big run, w/ 1 broken tackle. When i had the ball, ripped off one of my own big runs w/ a broken tackle, 100% more than the entire previous season...got things going offensively and still lost the game 28-34. they were just a better team. We each threw an interception on bad decisons...no penalties or wide open receivers on 3rd down...it was a really refreshing experience. I'm really looking forward to playing tonight (Friday) and see how these games go.

PS: I use a version of Hellisan's manual offseason improvement system, so my guys aren't all 99's and i give 5 pt boosts to all top 10 team's incoming freshman, so the blue bloods stay the blue bloods and i'm usually outmatched or the lower rated team. It was so fun to play a game that i felt like i was still in the game...I could stop them when needed, they were stopping me...but it wasn't like playing against a godly Old Dominion team that i snuck out a win on.

In short, thanks for spending the time to put this set together. Through 1 game...its the best set i've seen so far. I'll post updates tonight as i get through more games.

I didn't try the penalty sliders and auto-subs as i just wanted to try the sliders...but will put the rest in (threshhold, penalties, etc for the rest of the season). Also have never really messed w/ threshhold...i understand how its done, but curious how much of a difference it really makes, looking forward to testing.

Last edited by AKEjcl41; 11-22-2019 at 10:31 AM.