View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #953
gman2774
MVP

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Downsides relative to straight default (obviously the two share common downsides like depressed penalties, injuries, etc.)?

Well, I'm only a few games into it....so nothing definitive, but here are a couple of things I am looking at:

1. Run defense penetration. The defenses really swarm well to the ball. In one sense, I go "eh, is it too much?" while conversely going "this looks quite real". People who obsess over CPU run game stats may have a hard time swallowing this. What I DO like here is that CPU runners WILL keep their legs churning and give a good second/third effort on many plays....so while you may have games where you hold down their YPC, there is still effectiveness.

2. Tackling dynamics. SO....there's still a lot of variety here. But, the variety has shifted a bit more to the heavier hit, momentum-based tackling side of things (and I am not exactly sure if the hitting is overdone). It IS offset by that 'leg churning' (momentum-based) running - but I want to see how it pans out over the long-haul. A team loaded with run stopper archetypes are going to excel while other archetypes are going to struggle a bit more.

3. Pass rush. If a d-line is based around run stopper archetypes, they might get a push, but they are not going to break free a lot. It DOES give an appearance of some 'patty cake' on the pass rush and that is what I am eyeing here. That said, I've seen D-lines with more power/speed rusher archetypes bust free a fair bit.

Here's my "gut take". M20 is a pretty wide open game at default and I think we've kinda gotten used to that. Harmonizing the MM INJ slider seems to have brought back a lot of defensive balance back to the game. But it has also gotten the CPU passing attack into a better spot where they're taking more aggressive shots vs the absurdly tight coverage we see at default. The ebb and flow of the games are really nice overall. I truly think that ratings AND player archetypes are going to dictate how the games unfold....and when you play as one team in a franchise.... what you observe is, in part, going to be based on how you build your team.

If you've built a run-stopping 34 defense...expect to get hurt by the pass. If you've built a quick, coverage based 43 defense, expect to get hurt by the run. If you use the air raid, don't expect to run well. I can go on and on. Take responsibility for the decisions you've made in building your team and understand that every choice has a downside. The most effective 'slider adjustments' you can make are by changing the composition of your roster and associated scheme.

Awesome detailed response Josh. Much appreciated as always. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports