View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
ShOopinOuw
Rookie

ShOopinOuw's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Anton Price - The Past History

The next day I got another call from my best friend. I had to be ready, because according to his sources, two other franchises were coming to me. He explained to me that a close friend of the Chicago executives had given my name to the journalists who were trying to know the identity of the coach they met the day before. So my profile would have appealed to two other franchises, but unfortunately he didn’t have the opportunity to give me the names. We continued to talk for a few minutes. He also told me about the fact that the Nets executives were thinking about not keeping D'Angelo Russell... We were both pretty shocked after his huge season.

In the afternoon, as I was watching the stats of some young NCAA players, my phone started ringing. It was Sam Presti. He wanted to meet me, alone, to discuss several points together. I accepted the appointment without hesitation.

A few days later, we met in a meeting room at the Chesapeake Arena with a view of the floor. Sam explained to me that he had vibrated more than once in this room thanks to the fans of the franchise, who were among the best according to him.

After praising the installations, as well as the fans, he invited me to sit down to begin the interview.

- First of all, I want to apologize on behalf of Mr Bennett. Unfortunately he did not have the opportunity to join us. He simply asked me to be able to record our interview, so that he too could form an opinion if necessary.
- No problem for me.
- Okay. So let’s start with the season, what do you say?
- Of course. So a sixth place, rather disappointing on several points, if I may.
- Allow me. I want to know your analysis.
- First of all on the squad. Lack of bench depth and too many injuries at first. Only 7 players at 70 games minimum. It’s hard to finish very high in the standings with that, even if in my opinion there was better to do to be in the top 4.
- Continue, says GM.
- Then in terms of results... Eliminated in the first round by the Rockets two years ago, Utah last year, Portland this year... Even if according to Paul Georges, author of a huge season by the way, the shoot of Lillard was bad. All I remember is an inability to get past that first round. Is it mental? Is it level? In any case, I think that starting over again on a new basis would not be too much...
- What do you mean by that? he asked me intrigued.
- To me, one of the problems of this duel against Portland is that Westbrook wanted to beat Lillard, whereas Lillard wanted to beat OKC. Your leader had too personal a vision on this series. He was looking too hard for the and-one, he was unable to adjust to the Blazzers... In addition, despite all his work, he has not managed to turn the franchise around. I think we should seriously consider letting him go, just like Paul Georges, even Steven Adams. You finish with the 6th best attack on the season and the 15th best defence! Hard to get a better play-off when you know that a title is won on a solid defense...
- Do you think we should separate ourselves from our best players to improve?
- What have you got to lose? You have no background while Billy Donovan has been here since has been here for years and you can’t get past the first playoff round in three years.
- Very well... But for whom?
- For young players. Today, reconstruction takes place there, like what was done in Brooklyn and Sacramento. There is no shortage of young people. I can give you the name of a superstar who is becoming accessible... Mitchell Robinson. GM started laughing. What are you laughing at?
- In your mind, is Mitchell Robinson better than Steven Adams to go further?
- In the short term, no, in the medium term, without hesitation. We are talking about a player who in the rookie season was able to turn 7.3 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.4 counters per game in 20 minutes on a weak team. Remind me of the stats of Adams at the same age? Reassure me I already know them. Has he already achieved a season at least 2.4 against average? Here again, I already have the answer. We are talking about a player paid $25 million a year, unable to stop Enes Kanter. For someone who has a reputation for being tough on the man in defense, he’s been incredibly nonchalant on this show. This time, Sam Presti looked at me differently. In addition, this year, as you know as well as I do, there will be 60% of NBA players in the free agency market. It’s not the lack of opportunity that’s going to be there. According to my sources, the Nets are wondering about their leader.... If D'Angelo Russell is on the market, why not take advantage of it?
- You’re starting to interest me... I didn’t have the information...
- I am fortunate to have a friend who works for the media. I have the opportunity to discuss things and other...
- Since we are talking in confidence, I will tell you one as well. The owner would consider changing the visual indentity of the franchise. We want someone who can create a new mindset and who can create a solid band that can regularly go far in play-off for that. As if to mean the Westbrook-Harden-Durant air is over and we have to move on.
- So I see big changes. I’m not really afraid of changes. When you’re a coash in the G-League, it’s your everyday life.

We continued to talk about the workforce and a lot about coaching. Worries that OKC had encountered with the lack of adjustment made by Billy Donovan or the fact that the team is not a backdrop other than passing the ball to Westbrook and let it go.

At the end of our interview, Sam Presti thanked me and promised to keep me informed as soon as possible of the outcome, whether positive or negative.

As soon as the plane landed on the tarmac, I called Matthew to tell him about the interview. I was convinced that he was going to meet other coaches. We were thinking of Monthy Williams, who had been there as an assistant. My friend also told me about Dave Joerger, who had recently been available.

I barely had time to land at home as my phone sauna again. I didn’t know the number.

- Hello?
- Mr. Price?
- That’s me. I said to a female voice.
- All right, please don’t leave.
- Anton Price? asked me for a much more masculine voice. Hello it’s Koby Altman.
- Hello Mr Altamn, I now had the third franchise identity I wanted.
- Dan Gilbert and I would like to meet with you tomorrow afternoon. Would that be possible for you?
- I can get organized.
- Very good. My personal secretary will forward the information to you.
- Perfect.
- In that case, I’ll see you tomorrow Anton. Until then, do not accept any offers, wait to see us before you do, he says, smiling.
- I don’t think I’ll be back so soon, you know, in the same tone.
- You know, sometimes things can go very fast. See you tomorrow.

The conversation was brief but I was now set. I was going to meet with the leaders of a recently champion team. Matthew was right, my future seemed to be on the side of the big league.
Advertisements - Register to remove