View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #2
mcdowell31
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Some insight for the roster world

Using imagination to justify an attribute incongruity

It has bothered me since Speed With Ball attribute was added that some players can move faster with the ball than without because their Speed attribute is lower. I have a brand new #2 overall draft pick created by the game and of course, he is great. In the middle of his first-ever career game, I paused to marvel at his attributes and to see what I was working with. Not long and I noticed the pet peeve mentioned.

In reality, I know this is not logical biomechanically otherwise someone somewhere would put on shows with a ball out-sprinting others without a ball. And personally, coaches everywhere have had players experience this through wind sprints with and without the ball.

It has just donned on me: It could describe the onscreen player's motivation and attitude. All of us have played with or against that guy who seems to only go 3/4 speed until he gets the ball: Then you find out how athletic he really is. If he is on your team you cannot talk him into 100% all the time; he is motivated only by offense and scoring.

Framed like this, the Speed With Ball problem is not a problem for me anymore. It actually gives the player a bit more personality.