View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
illwill10
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: What Trends Will Dominate Sports Games in 2019?

I agree with most on the list. The annual release always hampers development because even if they have 9 month development time, resources are still used to update current games.

Monetizing modes are going anywhere. As cost of development and licenses increase, companies want to be able to recoup that and still make great profit. There's a reason we don't see as many sports games as we did in the 7th generation. Most companies can't afford the costs and it will take 5-10 years just to get where currents are now and by then still playing catch up. Esports aren't going anywhere and gameplay will continue to reflect the styles that casuals perfer. Not sure about EA NHL continuing on. There's a fan base, but I'm not sure it continues on. EA has shown that they try to hang on to sports games. If Live doesn't show vast improvement by year 3 of next gen, then that franchise might die. I do believe that Offline Franchise will continue to little love.
This year coming up will be affected by next gen since they typically push out launch next-gen titles. They can't neglect current gen since there might be at least 2 months between current gen release and next gen. But at the same, gamers don't want to just to see upscaled versions of current gen. I think with next gen, they will initially focus on visuals and gameplay. I don't think we're going to see a huge jump. But, I think it will head towards photo realistic visuals. Higher detail, more accurate colors, body type and movement, lighting(ray tracing).
I don't think 2k Football will come back. 2k has shown they want to if it can be profitable. But NFL prefers exclusive brands. Madden has been very hush hush when it comes to when the deal expires. But as long as Madden continues to be a high selling game, I don't see a reason why NFL will go against their one brand preference. The 15 year ESPN deal that began in 2006, should end next year. Nothing has been said about it besides the Esports deal. I don't see why they wouldn't renew. But I expect them to say something about it this year or at the latest early next year.