View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
MrWrestling3
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: First 2k I ever uninstalled before the next one came out.

Unfortunately, as other people have put it, I think it comes down to the social aspect of the game being heavily focused on.

Modes like MyTeam,Park,Rec,etc. aren't really designed to be played single player;they are primarily designed for people to play with online friends.Personally,I call this the "Facebook Design Approach" as it assumes that people have dozens (or hundreds) or buddies online they can join up with and if they don't it assumes they want to network and build a social hub with other players to build themselves a list of trusted 2K Buddies, if you will.

The downside of this is that people who for whatever reason(i.e. limited time,introverted,etc.) are not interested in networking to build an extensive friends list such that someone is always on 24/7 are pretty much left out in the cold when it comes to these type of modes.

I am not ashamed to admit I fall into this camp myself as I am an adult with a job that doesn't have the time(or patience) to network on a video game, plus I dont' really enjoy online gamer culture.I am also a loner by nature that spends all day long at work in social interactions,so by the time the day is done I just want to be left alone to relax,not pal around with people on a video game.

Unfortunately this is made worse by the video game industry in general seem to be leaning more towards the model of "gaming as a social hub" and leaning away from single player games.This is evident even within the 2K community, with the offline mode fans often saying they feel like they are stuck with stale,broken modes and ignored by 2K when it comes to fixing them.