View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 06:02 AM   #1
howardphillips214
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0
Personalities are so huge in the NBA. This should be in the game.

I started toying with this idea the other night watching Dame Lillard destroy our front line defense. And then doing it again tonight. I remembered the look after he drained the three over Paul George in the playoffs. His whole team tackling him and him looking directly into the camera, blank face. Down 25... Calm. Drains a half court shot, drains 4 in a game. Calm as can be. Up 25... Drains a game winner. Steady.

So i thought about it... How could that affect the game? His teammates? Himself? His opponents?

Then i started thinking about other players in the league. Luka just looks like a kid out there having a blast. Sure... He has off nights and gets frustrated, ripping his jersey 2 years in a row. But he's also not afraid. He's consistently looking for the big play, the right play. So its not just one dimension to a personality. It's not just one dimension to how they play the game.

Then i got started on role players. Consummate professionals. People that are ok with 8 minutes, 25 minutes, or no minutes. As long as they're winning.

Then the mega stars in years past.... The legends. LBJ, MJ, KG, Kobe... Each had a different approach to the game. Those are some of the best trash talkers ever. How THEIR personalities directly affected their opponents, their matchup.

THEN i started thinking about how all of these could add or subtract against team chemistry.

So i started thinking about stuff like this... Names open to change.

The Dame Demeanor or steady hand.

This player rarely changes emotion. Constantly looking to be aggressive. Never gets too hot or too cold. Takeover lasts 1.5x longer. But neither him or his teammates go up or down more than 5 attribute points. As long as he's on the floor, the team still has a chance.

But then he's got someone like Melo on his squad...

Don't Blink

This player can heat up on 2 makes, or lose takeover on 2 misses. He can be a great teammate to have when hot. But if he gets frustrated by early foul trouble, a bad call, he can really cause damage to a team's momentum. He loves to put on a show. When hot, all teammates receive a +5 to their attributes. But when cold, the reverse. When playing with a player like Dame, his teammate bonus or negative effect is only +2/-2 due to aforementioned Steady Hand.

The Talker...

This player can be the best kind of teammate, or the worst. Plus/minus can range from +9/-9. This teammate has a tendency to let his mouth help or hurt his game. If he taunts an opponent (celebrating on defense/offense, currently Online players in MyPlayer modes will use these emotes after loose balls, made buckets regardless of outcome) then that player can either back it up, or eat his words. I was thinking about how during stop ball situations a little "jawing" could occur. At the free throw line maybe you could hear your player, or an AI player say things like "BALL DON'T LIE!" After a miss on a bad call (Rasheed Wallace) or even during 1 on 1 interactions "YOU CAN'T GUARD ME!". But this would have to have checks and balances. If i make a big stop, say a block. And i celebrate or say something like "GET THAT STUFF OUT OF HERE!" Then i get a bonus. But if the next play, LBJ comes back at me and rams it down my throat. BOOM! Cold to me and all my teammates. I just got told to stay quiet... Lol

Then there's the rare player...

I just came to play ball... The joyful player.

This guy steps on the court and his teammates receive a +5. As long as this player is NOT cold, he can give his teammates a lift. He can enjoy the standard +9 to select attributes during regular takeover. But he delights in making the flashy play. If this player throws an alley oop, a flashy pass, gets a poster, hits a long 3, or makes plays in clutch time... Instant takeover. The negative affect is his takeover lasts .5x as long as normal. But his cold streak is half as long. If this player continues to take bad shots, doesn't get his teammates involved, he can lose this personality badge. He thrives when him and his teammates are all having fun.

I'm sure there are holes in my proposals but i REALLY think this could add a huge element to the game. I don't think one player should be the same as all others. And having multiple personalities on a team should create diversity.

I don't think this should be selectable by MyPlayers. This should be purely based on play style. For instance... If a "taunting" mechanic were in the game, as celebrating already is, then if used frequently, "Steady Hand" should be unavailable and they would get "The Talker" instead. So if they continue to taunt, they can get a normal takeover bonus of +9. But if i BODY them in the paint, or they give up a three due to flopping or celebrating, INSTANT cold.

What are your thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove