View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #14
ksuttonjr76
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2K21 needs to be completely positionless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
Haha you clearly have no idea how broken the current categorical position system is in 2K if you are complaining about how "ESSENTIAL" it is for A.I. to have a system that determines "LINEUPS." The current system is broken and stupid. For example:

I have a MyLeague where the A.I. 76ers signed Shaun Livingston and Derrick Favors. They started a lineup of Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, Shaun Livingston, Derrick Favors, and Furkan Korkmaz against me in a MyLeague game... all because the stupid position system encourages them to get a PF (Favors) and think it makes sense to play him alongside Embiid, Simmons, and Livingston.

You can't seriously defend a system that stupid -- a system that simply constructs a lineup and roster based on listed positions without considering the attributes/skills/abilities of the players and how they fit together. A positionless system that prioritizes player attributes and complimentary skills would be much better, and would allow A.I./CPU teams to determine lineups based on team play style and player attributes that are valuable to mix into a lineup. Think about the key attributes that most lineup construction requires: Ball handling/creating, floor spacing, post scoring (depending on team offense), rim protecting, perimeter defending, etc.

A.I./CPU teams could actually try to build for their style and what fits well alongside their players, so you wouldn't have a team like the 76ers valuing Derrick Favors as their starting power forward just because the game tells them that they need a starter who is listed at the power forward position.

I shouldn't even have to explain this to you.

The Rockets example is entirely lost on you because you are looking only at their record as proof of your argument against positionless basketball without considering other factors (for example, they lack roster depth and have a weak bench). More specifically, look at Covington. He is playing great as a rim protector because it's not about his listed position and height, but rather his skills. His listed position is ENTIRELY IRRELEVANT to the on-court skills he has.

Again, I shouldn't even have to explain this to you. Positions are shallowly categorical. That's it. Specific skillsets are much more important than listed positions. Positions are rigid and archaic. That's why you have teams foolishly play "stretch 5s" like Myers Leonard because he is a "center" when most of the time he is a waste of space. He doesn't rebound well, he doesn't defend the rim well, and he doesn't score well in the post. But teams look at him and say, "Oh gee, a 7'1" guy who can shoot the three, what an advantage to have a 'CENTER' who can stretch the floor." It's dumb. Just because he is tall he is stereotyped as a center. It's all nonsense. His skills simply aren't there. He is one dimensional.
Dude...that's a programming problem or limitation. This is not a valid reason for "positionless" basketball. You're literally asking the developers to create a program that makes human decisions and have "opinions" about players.