View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #24
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
Episode 1: Night of the 1995 NBA Draft

Episode 1:Night of the Draft, Toronto.

"So here it is the NBA Draft. We have a man we want to get and build around Mitch. Lets hope he doesn't go off the board before #6. If he does we have a back up plan though, right?"

"Sure thing Magic. Based on what I've heard I think we can get this deal done if need be."

"With the 1st Pick in the 1995 NBA Draft the Golden State Warriors select.......Joe Smith."

"Yeah good pick Golden State. Solid production coming from this guy right off the bat."

"Yeah he's put up some real good number's Magic."

"With the 2nd Pick in the 1995 NBA Draft the Los Angeles Clippers select........Antonio McDyess."

"As expected Smith and McDyess are off the board with 1 and 2. Now is where it gets nervy. Wait hold up Mitch.."

I'd like to announce a trade, the Los Angeles Clippers trade the draft rights to the #2 pick along with Randy Woods to the Denver Nuggets for Rodney Rogers and the #15 pick in this year's draft.

"Hmm didn't expect that one! But that doesn't change anything does it? Magic, just hearing the Raptors are offering BJ Armstrong and #7 to move up to #4. Should we lift the phone?"

"No just hold out one more Mitch. I think the Sixers are going with Stackhouse on this one."

With the 3rd Pick in the 1995 NBA Draft the Philadelphia 76ers select........Jerry Stackhouse.

"I'm getting nervy Magic. I hear the Trailblazers are trying to move up to #4 aswell."

"Right give them a call. I think we can wait until #5 though Mitch. The Bullets have to pick Rasheed. I can't see him dropping to 5."

"Right Ok thanks John. We'll be in touch soon."

"So, who they taking Mitch?"

"No surprise's Magic."

"With the 4th pick in the 1995 NBA Draft the Washington Bullets select.....Rasheed Wallace."

"Now lift the phone Mitch. Time to do it."

"Hey Mr McHale, Mitch Kupchak here from Vancouver. You willing to talk about your #5 pick?"

"OK. Lets hear what you're offering Mitch. I've got Portland and Toronto here on two other lines..."

"Hey Mr McHale, funny thing just saw a graphic show up here, and it pretty much sums up what out offer is. We have a point guard for you - Greg Anthony. You can also get a top college Center who's a good scorer and rebounder - With our #6 Pick..."

"I don't know Mitch we can just take Reeves with the #5 pick right now if we want. Greg Anthony is a solid vet I know that, but you just picked him off the scrap heap. BJ Armstrong is a good point guard who has championship experience.."

"Alright Mitch just throw in the Lakers pick. We want this High School kid. I don't want to look back in 5 years and regret not throwing in the #21 pick"

"OK Mr McHale, how about if we throw in the Lakers pick aswell, #21 I think...Will that get it done?"

"You drive a hard bargain Kupchak. We really like this High School kid, but that's a hell of an offer. I think we can work with that big guy pretty well. OK so we take the High School kid for you now?"

"Yes please McHale."

"Magic, you're in on this call too! Best of luck this year men. Talk later."

"Thanks Big Kev."

This kid fits the modern build of a scoring forward in todays NBA. Its a close run battle between him and Bryant Reeves who is a top center. So why do we want Garnett more? He's from Chicago. He's darn tough. He's 6'11 and a top athlete. We want to run, and damn can he run, and jump. A legit top 5 pick and he's a tenacious defender. There's our marketing sorted for this opening season in Vancouver. The highest regarded high school senior by NBA scouts in history, perhaps comparable to only future Hall of Famer Moses Malone, who was, nevertheless, a third-round ABA pick.

With the 5th Pick in the 1995 NBA Draft the Minnesota Timberwolves select....The High Schooler Kevin Garnett.

"Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Ye s!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!"

Phone rings:

"Hey Mitch, Magic, Kevin here... So we want you to take Reeves now, right?"

"Sure thing Mr McHale."

With the 6th Pick in the 1995 NBA Draft the expansion franchise Vancouver Grizzlies select....Big Country - Bryant Reeves.

"That's the hardest part of the night over now Mitch."

"Can't put our feet up yet though Magic. Still got the second round pick to go."

I'd like to announce a trade, the Minnesota Timberwolves trade the draft rights to the #5 pick to the Vancouver Grizzlies for the draft rights to the #6 pick Bryant Reeves, Greg Anthony and the #21 pick in this year's draft.

"Hey don't go too far from the phone Mitch, I'm going to go see if I can catch up with this kid. We are looking for some shooting in the second round. You've got our targets."

Later that night:

"With the 36th Pick in the 1995 NBA Draft the Vancouver Grizzlies select........Fred Hoiberg..."

And that's a wrap folks. We got the two guys we wanted, and didn't give up a lot I feel. There is absolutely no way we are not in the lottery next year, so it's worth the risk. We have got to take our time with this build. Draft high potential kids and turn them into men. A risk worth taking for Garnett. Good young guy with oodles of potential, and it will be nice to market these two budding young stars to our Canadian city of Vancouver.

Now onto the roster. Lots of decisions to be made on who to keep from the expansion draft.We need to come up with a list of free agent targets too. Busy times ahead.

Last edited by RMJH4; 03-30-2020 at 05:46 PM.