Old 03-22-2020, 01:15 AM   #134
PVarck31
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: HDR on or Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2
Admittedly I haven't read through entire thread, so I apologize if this has been addressed--but I recently bought a new 4K TV (LG - 55" Class - LED - UM6910PUC Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR). I have an older PS4 (early 2014).

When I first turned on HDR for FIFA 20, and now MLBTS20--the games (menus specifically) seem to be very laggy. Is this due to the PS4 (not being Pro) just incapable of handling HDR? Also--a friend advised of a "Premium HDR" cable? Never heard of this. Should I get one, or--given that I don't have a Pro--it won't matter?

Thanks in advance!
Are you using game mode? If so, it shouldn't be laggy at all. Do you have any post processing settings on? You should turn off any motion setting or smoothing settings. Also do you have instant game response on? You need to set ultra HD deep color to on. Enable ultra HD color as well. If you've done all this I'm sorry,

This TV has great input lag even in 4K HDR mode. Unfortunately, this TV is not very good with HDR10. It just doesn't get bright enough and doesn't have a wide color gamut. But I always say, use whatever looks best to you. Play around with the picture modes if you are able to still select one in game mode. Vivid will probably make everything brighter and some people like it, but it crushes colors and make them very inaccurate in some cases.

As far as an HDMI cable, the one that came with the PS4 pro is all you need. The rest of the ones that are labeled high performance are just BS marketing to get you to pay more. Pretty much all HDMI cables out there now are 2.0.

Edit: Just realized you are on the og PS4. It does support HDR. Set all video settings to auto. And as far as an HDMI cable, just make sure you have a 2.0. But like I said, you won't get a lot of HDR benefits with this TV. But again, if it looks good to you, that's all that matters.

Last edited by PVarck31; 03-22-2020 at 01:18 AM.