View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #80
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
Potential Magic Johnson return OK with Jordan.

Potential Magic Johnson return OK with Jordan.

January 1st, 1996 | by Washington Post

It would be the greatest comeback in sports since--well, since a certain bald-headed shooting guard decided to chuck his baseball career last March.

And if it's true that Earvin "Magic" Johnson is returning to the Vancouver Grizzlies, Michael Jordan is ready to welcome him back. But Jordan shook his head at the obvious comparison between his much-heralded comeback and Johnson's potential return 4 1/2 years after he was diagnosed as HIV-positive.

"It's different," Jordan said. "He left the game not on his terms. I left on my terms."

Jordan spoke before the Bulls whipped the Miami Heat 102-80 Friday night, with the United Center hallways buzzing over reports that Johnson will come out of retirement next Friday night against the Rockets.

The Vancouver Sun reported in its Saturday edition that Johnson and the Grizzlies have agreed in principle to a contract for the remainder of the 1995-96 season and that the NBA has approved the deal. League rules prohibit active players from club ownership, so that would explain Johnson selling his stake in the Grizzlies to John McCaw Jr.

"We have had discussions with Earvin, and we have had discussions with the league office for him to come back," club Chairman John McCaw Jr said. "We would love to have him. If he decides to come back, that's up to Magic. We're not at that point. It could happen in a day, a week, a month--or it could never happen."

It would actually be the second return for the 36-year-old Johnson, who first retired in the fall of 1991. Johnson tried a brief comeback a year later but quit after many NBA players voiced fears that he was infectious.

Although more is known about how AIDS is spread, Jordan said his friend probably would still have to confront many of the same questions.

"It's going to raise the issue all over again," Jordan said. "He has a disease that a lot of people have different opinions about. He must know he's going to have to deal with (resistance)."

Jordan said he had no fear of playing against Johnson. Neither did Dennis Rodman, who said Friday on WSCR-AM: "Everyone who's afraid of Magic Johnson should be shot in the head because he brought a lot to this game."

Much as Jordan personified the Bulls' "three-peat" teams, Johnson defined the "Showtime" Lakers of the 1980s. He led the club to five NBA titles--that's a couple more rings than Jordan has--and was named NBA Most Valuable Player in 1987, 1989 and 1990. Johnson as President of Basketball Ops has been trying to bring that style to Vancouver. Vancouver has been having growing pains, but December brought some signs of progress with a five game winning streak.

The big question is whether Johnson still has the wondrous skills that helped him revolutionize the passing game. Grizzlies coach and former teammate Kurt Rambis said Johnson, who has bulked up to about 252lbs in retirement, might play center if he comes back. Johnson famously played center in the 1980 NBA Finals. Center is definitely a position of need for the Grizzlies.

If Johnson needs inspiration, he can draw it from Jordan, who is playing some of his best ball one month from his 33rd birthday. Unlike Jordan, who dedicated himself to baseball for 18 months after quitting basketball, Johnson has continued to play hoops since leaving the NBA.

"I think he has the mental aspect," Jordan said. "Physically, it's up to him to get in shape. But he's been playing consistently with the Grizzlies in practice. I didn't play. I'm pretty sure it'll be easier for him."

Jordan hedged a bit when asked if he wanted his former Dream Team running mate to come back.

"I want what's best for him," Jordan said. "If he feels he's ready and he can deal with some of the adversity he's going to have to deal with, then I support him."