Old 04-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
ViatorLion10
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Best Roster for Harcore Sim Franchise Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishBull34
Hi Viator,

I'm following Cycloniac's thread and now yours.

I see you're highlighting the sheer number of edited players in your roster as compared to other rosters.

What's clear from Cycloniac's thread is that there's a pretty robust system for the re-rates that are done.

I'm wondering if you have a similar system (I did read the OP) and if what's unique here is that you applied it to more players, or that you have a different method for calculating ratings, etc.

Could you elaborate?

I'm not intending to frame this query as a peeing contest between roster makers, but rather am trying to understand the nuances of each set.

Thanks!

Thanks for following!

Cycloniac does have a robust system for rating based off of specific statistics. That is definitely next level for roster creation. However, after looking through his roster, I did find some of his calculations a little puzzling and the resulting overalls to be disagreeable.

Don't get me wrong, its still one of the best rosters out there for realism. It just wasn't exactly to my liking, mostly because of the resulting overalls and potentials that he came up with.

My system was based predominantly on WAR for current MLB players. Fangraphs has a great WAR system that breaks different values into tiers. I simply turned those tiers into ratings spreads and used them as target overalls for players. For potentials, I assigned potentials based on future roles that players are projected to fill. For example, "middle of the rotation starter" varies anywhere from 78-83. Some other things like career performance to date or potential of individual tools would then go into calculating a final number.

One drawback of my system that I'll admit is that it is not 100% adherent to statistics. If a players has a league average K rate as a hitter (25%), then its not guaranteed that his vision will be a 60 (average rating), but it should be in the general vicinity.

I focused just on editing overalls mainly, so I didn't necessarily edit attribute patterns. I took the base attributes generated by SDS or by the roster creator (mkharsh33) and increased/decreased them until I got to my target overall.

I would LOVE to edit each individual player and make their ratings accurately reflect every detail of their play. I have the knowledge of statistics and mathematics to generate formulas to make this happen in a completely unbiased and accurate manner. However, I am just one person, and even this method that I did took 60+ hours.

I would love the opportunity to collaborate with someone like Cycloniac or anyone who's interested for future projects. We the players deserve the best roster humanly possible. I just wish SDS delivered it to us instead.

And don't worry about about starting any rifts. I got respect for Cycloniac and the grind he puts in. I'm just pointing out a few criticisms for improvement, and I welcome the same.