Old 05-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #392
VDusen04
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: ESPN Presents: The Last Dance, a 10-part documentary on 97-98 Chicago Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffx
Makes you wonder why Lenny Wilkens, who coached the Sonics to back-to-back Finals appearances (and winning in '79), would put Ehlo on Jordan.
Wasn't there a part in that clip stating that Jordan was just 1-for-6 against Ehlo at that point?

Regardless, against the best player on the planet at virtually the height of his athletic powers, Craig Ehlo was still able to force Jordan to double pump on a drifting right-to-left jumper.

Personally, that Ron Harper bit reeked of classic hindsight storytelling. I've done it, my former teammates have done it, coaches have done it. It's just a way of maximizing an important moment that tends to stretch the truth the more time that passes, particularly if it makes the story more entertaining.

Ehlo's take:

Quote:
“I never said I was a Jordan stopper like Gerald Wilkins or anything,” Ehlo told cleveland.com this week. “But back then Harp and me were on the court at the same time and he was our big offensive threat. So, when I came in it was a no-brainer that I would guard Jordan so Harp could rest on defense and play on offense.

“Harp had never really talked about defense or guarding people. He wasn’t a bad defender, I will give him that much, but I think those years with the Bulls where he got those championships, he was definitely third or fourth fiddle, so all of a sudden he becomes this lockdown defender, apparently. I don’t really remember him during our time wanting to play defense that much. He kind of shocked me with those comments, saying he wanted to guard Michael.”
Price:

Quote:
“That was pretty interesting,” Price told cleveland.com. “That caught me a little off guard. I didn’t know Ron had such strong feelings about that because I didn’t really remember all that. Maybe it’s because we were in the midst of everything or maybe that was something where Ron had talked to [head coach] Lenny [Wilkens] on the side or before. I didn’t ever really recall that situation being a big deal at the time when the game was going on. I just remember Lenny kind of telling us what we were going to do and then going out and trying to do it. Obviously it’s something that had bothered Ron.”
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/...-comments.html

Price and Ehlo come across as being super diplomatic, basically dancing around stating, "Yeah, Harper made all that up. Dude didn't care about defense back then."

Last edited by VDusen04; 05-10-2020 at 12:32 PM.