View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 03:22 AM   #1
Good Grappler
Pro

OVR: 0
Matchmaking for Quick Match

So, quick match is undoubtedly one of the most enjoyable modes in the game. You get the same exciting pvp experience as in championships or UT, yet without the same competitive undertone since it doesn’t matter if you win or lose.

Quick match is a great place to test out different fighters, try different strategies and play-styles, and just mess around and have fun. It’s alluring to players of every skill level, from hard core competitive players, to complete newbies.

Problem is, because so many different people - from so many different skill levels - play quick match, it’s very common that “high level” players get matched with someone’s who’s literally played the game 3 times. I’d say that 80% of my searches match me up with a complete newby. I’m talking, they start the fight with 3 consecutive spin kicks at the air, show no clue how to play, and I quit immediately (it’s not worth wasting the 30-45 seconds to finish them).

Now, I DO like the idea of having relatively open matchmaking for quick match. By no means do I want to see a super strict matchmaking system, like it was at the beginning of UFC 3, when everyone was waiting like 10 minutes for a fight. I think that in an environment like quick match, where people aren’t in “try hard mode”, it’s good to have players of different skill levels fight each other.

But there needs to be some level of matchmaking... at least to prevent situations where experienced players like myself are getting matched with people who just bought the game. Again, more than 50% of the players I get matched with are so unaware of how to play, I just quit immediately because it’s not even worth player. I’m all for playing inexperienced players, but they have to at least understand basic concepts like “don’t throw 30 consecutive headkicks then gas myself”.

I propose that quick match incorporate a matchmaking system, where players are categorized into four different “tiers”. These tiers would be based upon their performances within quick match, and/or their leaderboard ranking.

And I also propose that players have the ability to control how restricted (or open) the matchmaking would be in regard to their own personal searches. So if I’m in tier 2, I could choose to fight anyone in tier 1-3, or I could simply choose “open”, allowing me to get matched with anyone from any tier.
Advertisements - Register to remove