View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #5
stillfeelme
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: PS5: Contests need TUNING

I think the issue is some of the things that are triggering contest sometimes comes off as more "gamey" badge effect of a real life basketball occurrence.

1. Embiid's contest in the first video should have a chance to be ruled a foul, just looking at the animation how it plays out. He sort of pushes him in the back. The game could be doing one of two things trying to find a way to contest shots you are out of position on to reduce shot success in the paint, or it could be a badge to simulate the offense player being "scared" of the rim protector which lowers the shot percentage by simply being in the head of the shooter. In the end they could be using the contest as a catch all not sure there. So the contest is the result we see of the badge perhaps. Embiid's takeover was activated as well.

2. I do agree that on NextGen systems I expect or hope they can do a better job of programming actual contest by actual positional location and the way the defender actually contest the shot.

3. The KCP and Kuzma mistimed jumps probably should be drawing more fouls. That is the only way to combat spamming the jump contest.

4. I know I commented on this topic before on current gen but I always thought the perimeter contest on jump shots that required you to be up in the face were not really realistic because in real life you have to give the shooter a place to land. So it was not a realistic approach to reflect this in the game. The defender never had to try not to invade the shooter's landing space.

I must admit though the Danny Green contest is a good contest. I see nothing wrong with the actual contest.

The up and under between Draymond and Pascal I also saw nothing wrong with that. Draymond didn't actually jump at the first move. Pascal just couldn't finish his second move because Draymond actually stood in has way.

Here is my thought which you or everybody may not agree. I prefer options to happen depending on the animation.

• I want the ref if there is slight contact on up and under's and the defender mistime his jump to not always call the foul. That is realism to me if the ref's miss the call sometimes. The players can express their frustration over the non-call etc. I can then decide to challenge the call etc. That is the type of game play I want for next gen. That is the type of immersion that will keep you coming back.
Advertisements - Register to remove