Old 06-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #6
Kushmir
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: PS5: Contests need TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
It could be a badge to simulate the offense player being "scared" of the rim protector which lowers the shot percentage by simply being in the head of the shooter. In the end they could be using the contest as a catch all not sure there. So the contest is the result we see of the badge perhaps. Embiid's takeover was activated as well.
I guess that's kind of my point...Takeover or not, elite rim protector or not, you don't get that stuff passively. Embiid actually has to play defense--even if its just getting his hands up, something. This is why we have episodes of guys forcing misses with their back turned, which is HORRIBLE.

Quote:
The KCP and Kuzma mistimed jumps probably should be drawing more fouls. That is the only way to combat spamming the jump contest.
We definitely agree there. To me there's a distinct difference between a Contest (trying to bother the shot) and a SHOT BLOCK. Contests foul rate should be relatively low, mistiming shot blocks or going for them with players with low ratings should have a much higher foul outcome.

Quote:
I know I commented on this topic before on current gen but I always thought the perimeter contest on jump shots that required you to be up in the face were not really realistic because in real life you have to give the shooter a place to land. So it was not a realistic approach to reflect this in the game. The defender never had to try not to invade the shooter's landing space.
Agreed. IMO this is the main reason Contests and shot blocks should be separate--players use triangle (block) because the defender reacts fast/it closes distance.The only way to get animations like these in 2K is to press block...

For instance here's a user pressing block to close the distance towards Stauskas:

The problem is trying to block jumpshots is a really, really bad idea. What i'm saying is the entire Contesting paradigm needs to shift. We should get those animations by pressing the R-Stick towards a shooter. If the shooter is far away it should trigger the running contest. Pressing block should allow shooters to draw fouls like these:

And while not every outcome should be a foul, even when its not whistled the defender's momentum should take them out of the play:

The benefit to Contesting (R-Stick) is that defenders should get a hand up and rarely leave their feet. Like these:

Quote:
I must admit though the Danny Green contest is a good contest. I see nothing wrong with the actual contest.
Contesting would have been fine--Green tried to block the shot. His success rate trying to block Embiid head-on should be pretty low. Foul outcomes should far outnumber anything else.

Quote:
The up and under between Draymond and Pascal I also saw nothing wrong with that. Draymond didn't actually jump at the first move. Pascal just couldn't finish his second move because Draymond actually stood in has way.
I can dig it. Keep in mind that's ME defending tho--the Up/Under fooled me and it resulted in pretty blatant contact. Foul outcomes when Contesting should be low (Hands Up should be lowest) but this one's a foul IMO.

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-28-2020 at 11:38 PM.