Old 06-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
Kushmir
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: PS5: Contests need TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
RS should be the only way to trigger a contest animation.In my mind I picture those good running contest animations as being a quick contest (i.e. flicking the RS) while moving.
This. This. This.

Flicking while running is a good, intutitive input for triggering a running contest. In those instances defenders are just running at a guy trying to bother the shot--which is distinctly different from trying to block the shot. IMO there's 1) Hands Up--the lowest quality contest. There's no chance of a foul but it affects shots only slightly:

2) Contesting, which is actively trying to bother the shot. The foul outcomes here are low too but based on Position, Timing and Defender these can really bother shots. Here are two great contests at the basket by Kawhi/Giannis and one by Redick:

Bad timing on Contests should take defenders out of the play. Here are two where the defenders are fooled and their momentum takes them out of the play:

Last is the shot block, which is all-or-nothing. Either you erase the shot or miss the block. Blocks should have high foul outcomes--especially when fooled/in bad position or with a player without the skill-set:

High foul outcomes from bad position would be a good way to punish users who go for every chase down block: