View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
TrophyKing80
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Every Kids Dream: An Option Run to The Top of College Football!

Lobos Take Chance On Unproven OC

Albuquerque, NM
Lobos Football Writer, Paul Brown

University of New Mexico Athletic Director, Paul Krebs, announced the addition of a new member to the Lobos coaching staff this morning. Former University of Alabama, Birmingham (UAB) Running Backs Coach, Zach Moore, was named the new Offensive Coordinator following a brief statement by Krebs. The Lobos had gone 4-9 in 2012, which was a vast improvement over the 1-11 campaigns from the prior three seasons, but a contract dispute led to the opening of the OC role, providing newcomer, Coach Moore, with an opportunity.

"I'd like to begin by expressing my gratitude to Athletic Director Krebs, Head Coach, Justin Simmons and Defensive Coordinator, Antoine Irvin, for believing in my capabilities", Moore said. He went on to acknowledge the challenge of bringing his Option Run attack to the Lobos program, but noted, "it's a scheme that requires all 11 players on the field to work in harmony. If we're able to establish a cohesive unit on the field, at one time, then nothing can stop us."

Coach Moore, who also was a fourth-string running back for the UAB Blazers, expressed thanks to his alma mater for the many years of quality education and athletic knowledge the school had provided.

Head Coach Simmons was asked his thoughts on the new hire, "I'd say that it was a team effort on the selection, between myself, Krebs (Athletic Director) and Coach Anty (Defensive Coordinator, Antoine Irvin). The three of us reviewed lots of talented prospects, but felt Coach Moore was at the right point of development. I'm excited to see what his option attack can bring to the Lobos, and excited for us to build off our 4-9 campaign from last season."

When asked about his expectations, Coach Moore had this to say,"Nothing short of a conference title and a BCS Bowl. I'm confident in Coach Simmons and Coach Irvin, and I'm confident in myself, and believe we can bring the Lobos a Mountain West title."

The 27-year-old Moore was introduced to the team following the press conference. Projected starting running back, senior, Desi Pittman, was asked about learning a new scheme as a senior, "There's a lot of excitement around the locker room right now. I actually have a cousin who played in the CUSA against UAB while Coach Moore was the Backs Coach there; he seemed to have a lot of positive things to say about our new coach, so we're excited to have him and excited to learn."

Another aspect Coach Moore will contend with is recruiting. He wasn't considered a recruiting guru at UAB, but he also wasn't the main guy for offensive recruiting. "It'll be challenging for sure. I'm not from New Mexico, have had few ties with high school athletics in this part of the country, but I am eager to get out there, present our program to the young stars of tomorrow and sign some future leaders for Lobos football" Moore was quoted as saying.

The immediate challenge, as fr as the sportswriter can see, is can Coach Moore coach up the talent New Mexico has. We'll just have to wait and see.