Old 08-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
SALonghorn
Rookie

SALonghorn's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A reason to stop playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
I dont see the problem. One, its 1 inning. I am a die hard Indians fan and use them every year with the show. Ive had plenty of games where Cookie starts off like this and ends with not giving up another run and striking out 10+. Ive also had games where Cookie has looked like a AA #5 starter. I would never judge him by 1 half inning. As for the hits, they just made good contact. Other then the HR, placement was good. Hitters get lucky. Hell, I have seen in RL Lindor hit a squared up meatball right to someone plenty of times. The beauty of this game is, hits can lead to nothing and nothing can lead to hits.
It doesn't matter if it's the 1st inning...or if it's an All Star or AA #5 starter...

Part of the fun/challenge of MLB The Show is it takes skill to be successful. It takes a lot of practice pitching to consistently hit the target with such a loose stick. The same with hitting - if your location and timing are off, you won't have much fun. Mix in the individual skills of the player you use...and you have the receipe for a great game.

However, when Zimmer, Lindor, JRam, and C Santana all get fastballs in those spots with good+ timing but go for 1-for-4, you can say "That's a shame. Should have been a big inning." But then you hit those spots in pitching with 2 strikes on the batters and they go 4-for-4 with 3 runs and no outs...then the game seems more like a random number generator than skill. That HR pitch was that skill challenge of pitching. I wanted to hit just outside the corner strike zone but slightly missed it. Those two pitches way out of the strike zone...those were supposed to be chase pitches with 2 strikes.

Flip the results of the half innings, and which teams should be up 3-0 based in those pitch locations?
Part of the reason I felt compelled to post this experience is that it seems to be a trend during my current season. My pitching stats are not that impressive this season compared the many seasons I've played on other previous The Show games. Too many games I've had to tell myself "Hitter got lucky." While I improve my hitting with more playing time, and yet still line out game after game.

I lost the game 4-5. Carrasco had 10+ KOs and pitched 8 innings. Remove the 1st inning...would have been a 4-2 win.

Being an Indians fan in Texas, I don't see too many Indian games. What is the source of the Cookie nickname?

Last edited by SALonghorn; 08-03-2020 at 11:29 AM.