M21 NFC South Preview

Team Ratings:
Atlanta - 79 OVR (T-21st)
Carolina - 78 OVR (T-24th)
New Orleans - 85 OVR (1st)
Tampa Bay - 83 OVR (T-4th)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Helu
Key Players:
QB Tom Brady (90 OVR): Brady is almost guaranteed just one user season, but this team is built to win now, and Brady is still among the elite at the game's most important position. He's surrounded by playmakers at all skill positions and has a solid offensive line. Can he do it with out Belichick?

DT Vita Vea (87 OVR): Vea is an absolute monster. 97 STR, 87 PMV, 85 BSH, 86 PUR, 97 TAK at just 25 years old. The 6-4, 346 pound is the prototypical big boi in the middle with sneaky athleticism and should be a force at the center of Helu's defense for the full cycle.

Building Blocks:
WR Chris Godwin (88 OVR): Mike Evans gets the attention, but Godwin is coming off of a 1300 yard season and just turned 24 years old. He's an all-around stud with 91 SPD, 92 ACC, 91 AGI, and 89 COD alongside 97 CTH (!!!) and high 80s route running.

MLB Devin White (78 OVR): Devin White is a freak. This man plays linebacker with 92 speed. He's only 22. He'll be a force playing behind Vea and would be my first choice among young linebackers in the game.

Outlook:
This team is built to win early and often. Quarterback will be a concern for Helu after the Brady era ends, but the cupboard is anything but bare in Tampa. Helu was very competitive vs. me in our game last cycle, and I think he'll challenge a lot of teams with this roster and potentially contend for division titles. That being said... respect is earned & not given in AWFL, and I've got him 4th in the division to start.

Carolina Panthers - ZCar
Key Players:
HB Christian McCaffrey (99 OVR): Yeah, he's really good.

DT Kawann Short (87 OVR): Short is a 3-down player who's been really good for a long time. He' still got it. With 91 BSH and 89 PMV, look for Short to be Carolina's best defensive player for the first two user seasons & really free up Burns and Brown to make plays up front.

Building Blocks:
The WRs: D.J. Moore is an 85 OVR at 23. Curtis Samuel is an 80 OVR at 24. The vet - Robby Anderson - is an 84 at 27. All three have elite speed (Moore is the slowest at 93) but are more than just burners. With CMC in the backfield and this level of talent outside, ZCar is set up for success on offense.

CB Donte Jackson (82 OVR), DE Brian Burns (79 OVR), and DT Derrick Brown (78 OVR): The Panthers have a bunch of nice young pieces, and these three will be among the best at their respective positions by the end of the cycle. Jackson's 96 speed is the ultimate weapon at corner - he can cover anyone. Burns on the edge and Brown in the middle gives ZCar two bonafide playmakers in the trenches - both of whom are just 22-years-old.

Outlook: Man, it just feels right having ZCar back in Carolina. After a disappointing last couple of cycles, I'm hopeful that ZCar is going to rebound. He's shown the ability to be in the upper echelon of defensive users, and with CMC toting the rock, he should be able to be competitive with his Panthers. I'm not sure if Teddy B20 is the answer, but regardless of who's under center, this roster is loaded with speed and playmakers on offense and has plenty of talent on the defensive side. ZCar will need to cut back on the turnovers and focus on moving the chains. He's my pick for 3rd in what should be a pretty competitive division.

Atlanta Falcons - HGR
Key Players:
WR Julio Jones (97 OVR): The only question mark here is how long Julio is a Falcon. Whether he sticks in Atlanta or not, Jones is going to demand extra attention from defenses for as long as he's in the file.

DT Grady Jarrett (90 OVR): Jarrett is another guy who's going to demand double teams from his opponents on a weekly basis. He's quick, strong, and elite against both the run and the pass.

Building Blocks:
WR Calvin Ridley (83 OVR): Ridley is a really good player who can do everything. He has the luxury of playing with one of the greatest receivers of all time, but I think he'll be the offense's focal point once HGR decides to trade Julio.

MLB Deion Jones (86 OVR): Of all the players HGR can trade on defense, I think Jones is least likely to go. His physical talent is too rare to move (unless you're what's his face who quit last cycle), and he's still just 25. I think he'll be the captain of this defense all cycle.

Outlook: HGR makes his return after an early AWFL exit last cycle, taking over for the league's most predictable quitter. While his start with the Jets was less than ideal, he's a top-tier GM and had a very under-the-radar successful M19 cycle with the Giants. I think HGR can win right away in Atlanta, and he'll push Hskr, especially late in the cycle after undoubtedly shedding a ton of vets for a ton of picks. He's #2 for me right now, but that gap's going to close as the roster talent gap closes.

New Orleans Saints - Hskr
Key Players:
WR Mike Thomas (99 OVR): You literally can't guard him. Thomas is the perfect security blanket - a guy that can toast coverage with route running when split out or in the slot & makes contested catches even when he's not open. Look for Hskr to turn to Thomas early and often throughout the entire cycle.

LE Cam Jordan (96 OVR): Jordan gets a lot of attention for his pass rush ability (rightfully so at 97 PMV), but he's also elite vs. the run. He is the force that makes this defense work, and he's the most important defensive player to this team until his retirement.

Building Blocks:
The Offensive Line: Few teams boast the offensive line talent that New Orleans does, and Hskr is going to figure that out really quickly. Armstead (95) and Ramczyk (91) are bookend tackles, Peat (78) is very solid at LG, and McCoy (78) and Ruiz (71) give New Orleans two strong young starters with high potential.

FS Marcus Williams (85 OVR) and SS Ceedy Duce (77 OVR): Williams (23-years-old) and Duce / Gardner Johnson / CJ Johnson / Chauncey Gardner (22-years-old) form one of the league's best young safety tandems. If Hskr can find a corner to play opposite Lattimore, the Saints should have one of the league's elite secondaries as the cycle progresses.

Outlook: Last cycle, the Saints won this division every season while losing just 2 division games all cycle (both in S1) and eliminating 3 different Falcons users from the playoffs en route to 3 Super Bowl losses. Bragging aside... their starting roster is even better this cycle. Despite some question marks on defense, look for Hskr to run this division and continue his string of recent success with the best team in the file. I think this will be one of the more competitive divisions this cycle, but I think New Orleans finishes on top more often than not.

Best Rivalry: HGR vs. Helu
I don't know why, but I'm looking forward to this matchup. I feel like they're going to play some close games but also I feel like their personalities are going to clash just enough to make things interesting.

Best Out of Division Game: Week 4 - New Orleans @ Detroit
Hskr gets a shot at his boss before RFF has a chance to build a roster. Look for Brees & Co. to give RFF all he can handle in one of this cycle's best early matchups.

Last edited by nb935; 08-14-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove