View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #22
Careless Whisper
MVP

Careless Whisper's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Cleveland's Chosen One | The Racing Career of Jack Collier

Bodine Wins Again as Collier Runs Out of Time
Geoff Bodine held on to win his third USAC SCWS race of the season despite a hard-charging Jack Collier

by Alex Ford, The Plain Dealer motorsports reporter

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Despite a late charge by championship rival Jack Collier, Geoff Bodine picked up his third USAC Stock Car World Series win of the season and second straight this afternoon in the Grand Prix of Florida, held at the road course at Kings Beach.

Bodine was able to get by pole-sitter John Sussman early in the race and led the rest of the way, but the result might have been different if the race was extended another couple of laps. Collier, who ultimately finished 0.937 seconds behind the veteran in second, had made up nearly four seconds over the final three laps of the race.

“I truly think we could have caught Geoff (Bodine) with another lap,” said Collier after the race. “Our car was really fast and I was making up so much time on the straights, and I felt like I was really getting into a rhythm later in the race. An 11-point difference with three races to go is easily doable, because it leaves my fate entirely in my hands. Sure winning the last three races is a tall task, especially with the run Geoff is on right now, but we already did it once and we can do it again.”

Bodine and Collier were accompanied on the podium by Joe Quinn, while Sussman and Tony Irwin finished fourth and fifth, respectively.

There were two retirements as Eric Downing and Will Carson were caught up in an early accident and couldn’t continue. Carson is now 20 points behind Quinn for third place in the standings after entering the day with a five-point margin.

The series heads to Ohio next for the Buckeye State Challenge at the Streets of Cincinnati on Saturday, June 4.

-------------------

Grand Prix of Florida
Kings Beach | Race 7 of 10
May 21, 1994 | $100,000 Winner’s Purse

F | S | Driver (Points)
1 | 2 | Geoff Bodine (20)
2 | 7 | Jack Collier (16)
3 | 4 | Joe Quinn (14)
4 | 1 | John Sussman (13)
5 | 6 | Tony Irwin (10)
6 | 3 | Cody Martin (8)
7 | 12 | Chris Norton (6)
8 | 8 | Ross Davidson (5)
9 | 9 | John Brewer (4)
10 | 11 | Bill Taylor (3)
11 | 10 | Brad Lockerman (2)
12 | 16 | John Morgan (1)
13 | 14 | Kyle Schmitt (0)
14 | 15 | Dave Williams (0)
15 | 13 | Eric Downing (-1, DNF)
16 | 5 | Will Carson (-1, DNF)

Margin of Victory: 0.937 seconds

1994 USAC Stock Car World Series Standings & Winners
P | Driver (Points, Difference)

1 | Geoff Bodine (119 / 3 wins, 3 poles)
2 | Jack Collier (108, -11 / 4 wins, 1 pole)
3 | Joe Quinn (92, -27)
4 | Will Carson (72, -47 / 2 poles)
5 | John Sussman (57, -62 / 1 pole)
6 | Tony Irwin (49, -70)
T7 | Ross Davidson (42, -77)
T7 | Cody Martin (42, -77)
T9 | Chris Norton (38, -81)
10 | Eric Downing (31, -88)
11 | Bill Taylor (27, -92)
12 | Brad Lockerman (15, -104)
T13 | John Morgan (6, -113)
T13 | John Brewer (6, -113)
T15 | Kyle Schmitt (1, -118)
T15 | Dave Williams (1, -118)

Thunderdome Challenge (Thunderdome) | Pole: Jack Collier (1), Win: Jack Collier (1)
California Grand Prix (Vallejo) | Pole: Geoff Bodine (1), Win: Geoff Bodine (1)
Grand Prix of New York (Binghamton) | Pole: Geoff Bodine (2), Win: Jack Collier (2)
Grand Prix of Colorado (Bridgeport) | Pole: Will Carson (1), Win: Jack Collier (3)
Nevada Challenge (Glacier Fields) | Pole: Will Carson (2), Win: Jack Collier (4)
British Columbia Grand Prix (Vancouver) | Pole: Geoff Bodine (3), Win: Geoff Bodine (2)
Grand Prix of Florida (Kings Beach) | Pole: John Sussman (1), Win: Geoff Bodine (3)