View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
tg88forHOF
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Your #1 Improvement or Change for Madden?

Precise, detailed, comprehensive documentation across the entire game.

An example of the level of detail I'm talking about: "The Interceptions slider increases the frequency of interceptions in both user-controlled and simulated games. It does this by increasing or decreasing the weight of a coverage defenders' CTH, MCV, and ZCV in contested-catch calculations, increasing the impact of AWR in all scenarios (making defenders more aware of where and when passes are being attempted), and by changing the AI's logic to X, Y, and Z. Increasing the slider by 5 will have approximately this much effect on the game".

Do this for sliders and adjustable settings. Do this for every player attribute and trait. Do this for the sim engine (describe in detail how it determines results). Do this for franchise AI logic and decisions. Do this for trade AI. Do it for every single piece of the game we can see.

The documentation should look like a late 90s/early 2000s strategy game manual. I'm talking like a Sid Meiers level novel.

At least help us understand what we see and experience. Let us see why a specific thing happened, so we can either adjust it if we want (and can), or wrap our heads around what's a random result and what's a bug that should be reported. I'd be willing to bet that half of the community's frustration with the game is based on the amount of guesswork we have to do around why something happened the way it did.

This would also have the side effect of clarifying the same things for every Tiburon staff member that works on the game, so they can fully understand the nuances of parts of the game they don't always touch. That's not snarky or an attack on the developers....it's extremely common that developers don't have access to documentation that extensive.

I've run doc exercise like this for software companies before...every one of them has learned something themselves just from going through the exercise. There are always devs that come out of it saying "huh...I've been here 5 years, and I didn't know that". Every time I host a meeting so my team can gather the information they need for the documentation, and a development manager answers "I don't know how that works...let me research it and get back to you", I know we've done something valuable.

Last edited by tg88forHOF; 09-19-2020 at 05:50 PM.