Old 10-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
Slaticus
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5
Bringing The Wing T to Madden 21: A Playbook

THE MODERN WING T

Jet Sweep From Undercenter

What’s up madden community? I know as well as most of you that this hasn’t been the best release for Madden of all time. I would probably call it one of the worst triple A releases I have ever seen. But, it is what it is. We have to make the best of it and hope that the future brings us something new. That is a whole ‘nother discussion. (TLR gimme that book. On xbox it is under WINGT2) This is an [excel sheet showing the formations and plays

Some of you might remember me from such offenses as The I-Boneand the Veer and Shoot. I am a huge football junkie and I love trying to bring past offenses into the modern NFL game and make them viable. This year, the choice was one near and dear to my heart...the Wing T. I grew up playing in and eventually coaching in the wing T. It was 17 years of bucksweep, trap, and waggle. In fact, many of the principles of my I-Bone playbook are still prevalent in this offense. There are, however, some major differences.

So, before we dive into the playbook, I would like to dive into the background of the Wing T. the Wing T was developed by Tubby Raymond at the University of Delaware (The Fighting Blue Hens) and eventually was modernized by a number of really, really phenomenal coaches that influenced the game as we see today. There were also a ton of players that helped this offense along in the early years. Billy Cannon was one of the best wingbacks of all time, [Rich Gannon](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtETY0KZjv0) was a Wing T QB back in his college days. Brett Farve played in the Wing T until college. More recently, [b]Tyreek Hill[/B]was a wing back in his high school days, Jarrod Davis played tight end in a wing T offense, and, infamously, so did Paxton Lynch. The offense got stale because literally everyone was running it in the 80s and 90s at the high school level and, while it was an effective offense, it is not the high flying spread game you see so often today. It is, however, still run at small high schools across the country, especially in such regions as South Georgia. where, until recently, Camden County had long been a bastion of the Wing-T, as had rival Lowndes , both with vastly different styles.

The principles of the offense are simple. You have a minimum of 3 deep threats (verticals) on any given play and also the potential of 3 ball carriers. (QB, both WRs/TEs, and the running back.) The goal is to stretch the field vertically and horizontally and force the defense to respect the entire playing surface. You can accomplish this in both pre and post snap methods, with motion and balanced vs unbalanced formations. When it comes to play calling, the initial wing T playset is going to be, as mentioned before, Bucksweep, trap, and waggle. Since there is not a good bucksweep option from under center, I have moved to the Jet sweep as my outside play. It is available in almost every formation in the playbook and is set as a quick audible in many of them. Once people start worrying about the jet, well, then you can attack the interior of the defense with Slam, Dive, and Trap. The HB stretch is also a formidable play but it isn’t as good as it has been in years past. Or I am bad at running it. Either/or. Almost all of my playactions are the versions where the QB rolls out, as to mimic the classic Wing T waggle. Like the I-bone, this forces the defenses to respect the QB as a runner and as the 3rd runner in any formation. These 3 provide the basis of my entire offense and I have won games only running variations of these three plays. It is not easy, but damn is it fun.

WHY THE WING T?

You may ask...why is this the wing t? Lots of people are running Jet this year. The blocking has been cleaned up, controlling the runner is a lot easier, whatever. Well, my basic answer to that is the series based aspect of the Wing T. The classical Wing T is based on the10 series(qb rollout/run/pass, speed options), 20 series (buck, trap, waggle, split action PA) the 30 series (power and power pass), the 40s series (option,FB dive, we’ll get to that), 50s (3 step drop), 80s (belly, belly option, same side playaction) and 90s (5-7 step drop pro style passing game and draw series). Clearly this is far more detail than EA typically puts in their playbooks, limited as they are with their engine. So I have done my utmost to make my own series inside of this playbook. As I already said, Jet/Slam/ PA rollouts replaces the 20s series, which can hit everywhere on the field. Inside Zone, Read Option, Read Screens replaces the 40’s series since that is mostly option based. The passing plays are mostly 3 step (50s) and 7 step (90s). I have some power plays scattered through, like HB base and the accompanying Cake Read Option play, which is about the best I could do. If you are interested, you can read more about how series based football works in the Wing T

The Holy Tubby

Wow. That got more in depth than I planned. I’d apologize, but I LOVE this ****. Now you might be saying…”dude there is no way that you have managed to mimic the wing t’s formations inside of madden.” Well, I have to say...you’re wrong there! So the base formation in the wing T is called red or blue. This is red and blue. Now, this is Gun Doubles. The left slot is now the wing back, the TE doesn’t move, the FB is now next to the QB, the right Wing back is now a WR and the X is still the X. Same leverage principles. The other formation I try to mimic is called Loose in the wing t and it looks a lot like Pistol spread, hence why I have it in the playbook. I also run a lot of the "Spread" looks from the Shotgun.

This is Red and Blue

This is Gun Doubles...see the similarity?

Now, of course, there are some formations that don’t necessarily fit the Wing T aesthetic of balanced and unbalanced. Looking at the trio and trips formations. While uncommon in the classic Wing, more and more high school and small college coaches are using this to flesh out their under center passing game, which is exactly what I have done here. Additionally, Tubby himself aligned in under center quads in “The Delaware Wing T: An Order of football”, one of the books I found when researching this playbook. (I actually have a scanned PDF of this holy grail) There is also the threat of the option series from it, which is just really nasty. You can absolutely maul people from within those sets and it is quite effective.

I got somewhat rambling there. Sorry guys!

But anyways, on to the players.

THE PLAYERS

*Offensive Line*- Agile run blockers.This is a power run offense, ergo, you must have good to great run blockers up front. The guards need to be able to pull and trap or wrap. While yu can use Inside and Outside Zone, I prefer Power, Toss, Iso, and Trap, with a dabble of Buck Sweep. Run Blocking is king, but they should be adequate pass blockers at the very least. (Yeah I copied the I-Bone thing, sue me)

*The Running Back(s)* This is a big back position. Rarely do I use them to try and attack the edges which means I can get away with having a straight powerback. I also rarely pass to them. This is a banger, pure and simple. Who should you play there? I love King Henry or Nick Chubb. Sony Michel isn’t a bad part here either. This is your primary ball carrier and should carry the rock the majority of the time.

The Fullback- I don’t use one in this offense, a major departure from past offenses.

The Tight End- Needs to be a run blocker with good speed and decent hands. I routinely will hand the ball to TEs on Jet Sweeps and I have two on the field better than 50% of the time so they need to be able to help as much as they can. I love the Bills collection of TEs for this offense.

The X and Z Recievers I am OK with burners who can exploit the deep thirds OR or big bodied sure handed guys. Above all, they need to be good with the ball in their hands.

The Slot Back- This guy should be a topflight ball carrier. Diggs is great here. Tyreek is a god. Even Tarik Cohen is a good fit. They are going to be your secondary ball carriers and should see the ball 10-15 times a game on Jets/bubbles/ and screens.

The QB-There are a lot of different ways to go here. You can go with a pure passer and west coast the heck out of this offense. A lot of people have gone that way with the Wing T. I prefer a more mobile threat. I am in love with Josh Allen in this offense. I usually play with the Bills or the Pats as both of their QBs do what I want.

Anyways guys, thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy the offense!

References

The Ground Attack with Tubby Raymond

The Passing Attack with Tubby Raymond])

The Delaware Wing T: An Order of Football.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!

Last edited by ChaseB; 10-20-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove