View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #2
gijimbo12
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: The coaching career of Gregory James (NCAA 14)

The 2020 Akron Zips

Fall camp has just wrapped up, and the 2020 Akron Zips are preparing for the opening game against #21 UCF.

Offensive Coordinator Greg James and Zips Head Coach Tom Arth decided to give the nod at Quarterback to redshirt senior Kato Nelson. Nelson edged out RS-SO T.J. DeShields and RS-FR Zach Gibson for the nod. James said the margin was razor-thin at the position and told media members on Friday before the game that it's possible other players could see time at QB.

James also discussed other key positions across the offense. Redshirt senior Cole Gest will start the game at tailback for the Zips. "We decided to go with some veteran experience in the backfield," James said, adding that Nelson and Gest's speed and athletic ability could pose problems for opposing defenses. Juniors Jeremiah Knight and Teon Dollard will backup Gest. At the receiver position, James said 6'2 senior Nate Stewart had an impressive camp. Behind Stewart, opportunities will be up for grabs between juniors Julian Hicks, George Qualls Jr., Marquis Whitmire and true sophomore Michael Mathison. James also said he hopes the team can find a way to get Jordyn Riley (JR defensive back) on the field for the offense. "He's the most athletic player on the team, I'm just hoping Coach Arth will give us a chance to put the ball in his hands from time to time."

The TE group may be the most gifted of all, led by (RS-SO) Maverick Wolfley. Brycen Yarmo and Zack Leininger, who are better blockers than pass-catchers will also see time at TE. Four freshmen will start on the offensive line, flanking senior captain Bryce Petersen at center.

Season Outlook
After an 0-12 season, ESPN's team of sportswriters chose Akron to finish 11th, just one spot ahead of last-place Bowling Green. MAC reporter Terry Jones had this to say:

"The Zips haven't won a game since 2018, and I'm not sure they will break that skid this season. They don't have a player that sticks out on either side of the ball, and the defense has a chance to break all of the wrong types of records. New OC Gregory James is being sold as the savior of an offense that just hasn't been able to win games lately, I don't buy it. My prediction? The Zips go 0-12 once again."

Further proving the lack of respect from the media and other coaches around the league, Akron didn't have a player named to the 1st- or 2nd-team All-MAC squads.

Here is the schedule for this year:
Week 1: @ #21 UCF
Week 2: Louisiana-Lafayette
Week 3: Bye Week
Week 4: Buffalo
Week 5: @ Bowling Green
Week 6: @ Ohio
Week 7: Northern Illinois
Week 8: Miami (OH)
Week 9: Bye Week
Week 10: @ Kent State
Week 11: @ Georgia Southern